December 2, 2008

"Come what may, and love it."

I just read the press release that Elder Wirthlin died last night. I got sentimental knowing that his family is mourning. I also clicked on the link to his last conference address and found some amazing helps for me right now. The italics below reflect his words.

How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can’t—at least not in the moment. I don’t think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain. I don’t think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneath a cloak of pretended happiness. But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life.If we approach adversities wisely, our hardest times can be times of greatest growth, which in turn can lead toward times of greatest happiness.

I think I'm MORE sensitive to others' grief since the passing of my little one. And I'm sure, over time, I will see growth in other areas of my life. Right now, I'm too entrenched in the grief to see much else.

Learn to Laugh

I'm at the point now where I can laugh at Elder Wirthlin's examples. I hope to be able to laugh more at daily happenings that go wrong instead of feeling angry or hurt or slighted.

Seek for the Eternal

I know that some people feel the the spirits of their loved ones after death. I know that I've felt my grandfather's presence before. Unfortunately, I have not felt my Evan close to me. It took some time for me to accept his mission on the other side. I wanted to think of him as a 15 month old baby that someone needed to tend to rather than a full grown spirit with a work to do in the world of spirits. I believe as I come closer to the Lord and accept the passing of my son, I will feel his presence and better understand the Plan of Salvation.

The Principle of Compensation

I can only imagine the tears of joy that will come when we get to see Evan again.

Trust in the Father and the Son

It's hard to accept the Father's plan when I just want to see Evan again. The haze of grief is getting thinner...but it's only been 2 and a half months since Evan's accident and death. It's amazing to me that I still have fits of denial that this really happened.

The way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life.

I'm working on my reactions...

2 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Wow! It is difficult to measure grief and growth at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad about the denial. Even today I found myself thinking "I can't believe my mom is really gone." And it's been almost 3 years. I just spoke in church on sunday on eternal life and exaltation - I was really uplifted while researching to remember that the WHOLE purpose of this life and our families and everything PERIOD - is to return to be with our Heavenly Father - and that he loves us with a deep and fatherly love. Makes me feel a little better to know that my mom and evan are with him and feeling that love firsthand. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers