January 20, 2009

Evan's Grave Stone

Evan's grave stone was set yesterday. We saw it for the first time today and I LOVE IT. We spent a bit of time considering what we wanted on it and in looking through books with possibilities, nothing seemed to fit. We merged several ideas into this finished product. Evan's picture is about 8"x10" and an artist etched it by hand. Etching seems a little archaic in the day and age of lasers, but this is a beautiful timeless stone and I am happy with the results.


Tymon and I spent a few hours one Saturday morning and hammered out the poem for the back. It was something we'd thought about but deep down, I didn't want to do it. No stone will ever be good enough for him or adequately describe how we feel about him. But it's been almost 4 months since he's been gone and I've hated not having anything to mark his grave. We borrowed some of the phrases in the poem from a few different stones in the head stone catalog. (Did you know they had those?!) Then we added several of our own lines to personalize it. How awesome that HEAVEN and EVAN rhyme...so fitting for our little angel.


We need to clean off the stone as it still has a film on it from setting it. I think we'll wait a little, though because later this week they will put a cement ring around the grave if the weather stays clear and gets up to about 50 degrees. We'll be able to plant flowers in the ring this spring. I'm not sure what to plant quite yet...suggestions are welcome.

17 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Thats amazing and Beatiful. I love that it was hand etched, such amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful headstone - amazing that they can etch an image like that! How wonderful to have something so personalized. The poem is lovely - you guys did a good job. Those walking by and seeing your creation will understand how special he is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget, how beautiful Evans stone is! You guys did a great job. It isn't an easy thing to do. His picture is great! It gives comfort to know that this is one more thing we can do for our loved ones. Hugs - Nicole Holland ^i^ Mia's mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok this may be weird, but I am a friend of Wendy's she told me your story and I found you on her blog. I have read your blog often.
    I have a daughter who is about the same age as Evan. I hug her more and am more patient.
    Thank you for making me a better person.
    My name is Megan and my email is mswimf@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok good I am glad this will not show up on the comments:)
    I totally feel like I know you from your blog! I have cried and laughed as I have read your comments
    You have been in my prayers.
    I truly have been a better parent because of you and your family.
    I am very grateful that I could be apart of that from afar.
    Keep smiling and please don't think this is weird. If you do I would understand.
    I am new in Wendy's ward in Snoqualmie. Thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is a beautiful headstone and the poem is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. I sent you a long winded Facebook message. Your blog is excellent. Click around on mine. I tend to swim in the shallow end of the pool:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yeah. The blog post I was awaiting and the one I was dreading the most. I still don't know what to say, but I feel the overwhelming need to comment.
    Closure? Or simply the beginning of something new. A message to the world from your little angel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This doesn't feel like closure for me. It's just another phase in the journey. I'm just happy it's now done and we can take the boys to the cemetary and have them comprehend more fully that this is where Evan's body is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is beautiful, Bridget. The poem is very fitting. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful poem, and your baby is darling. She's going to have plenty of protection thanks to all those brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the poem Bridget, what a beautiful memorial to your beautiful son. I can't believe what a fantastic job the artist did on Evan's picture - that's talent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is beautiful and so is he. I wish I could have met him. He has blessed my life through knowing you. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful tribute and memorial. How wonderful that the kids will have a face to see and remember when you go and visit the gravesite.

    I think that Forget Me Nots would be a great choice to plant around the ring. They are quick to spread and multiply and they choke out weeds, too. And, well... they're "Forget Me Nots".

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers