March 1, 2009

Temple Friday

Jovana, Graeden, Jocelyn and I flew to Salt Lake City this weekend to visit the new temple in Draper before it's dedicated in a couple of weeks. Before a temple is dedicated the public is invited to tour the inside. Because this is the only opportunity for Jovana to get a glimpse inside of our temples while she is staying with us, we decided to make the trek to Utah. Well it wasn't really a trek; the flight is only two hours and because of a killer deal on airfare, we made it a great short trip. We stayed with Tymon's mom and aunt and spent Friday with them and his cousin and her children.

The temple in Draper is beautiful. It's design is impressive, simple yet elegant and absolutely beautiful. The organization of the tour was so well thought out. We parked at a nearby church, watched a 10 minute video on temples and then boarded a bus to the temple grounds. After the tour, we ate cookies and were able to ask missionaries any questions that we had. Everything flowed so smoothly. There is a sweet and peaceful spirit about being at the temple. It is truly a house of God.


We also visited the Salt Lake Temple Square. In the visitor's center there is a great room with the universe on the walls. As I walked up the circular ramp and the stars and planets became bigger, I felt smaller. We sat in reverence looking at the statue of the Savior while a representation of His voice spoke to us. It personalized Him to me as I listened to him tell us how much he loved us and that we should love one another. It was gentle and powerful at the same time.


We were able to go and see the film Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration. I loved seeing this on the big screen. It felt like I was there. I didn't know very much about Joseph's family or his relationships with his brothers before the film. Only that they were close. I cried after Alvin died. Seeing his mother holding her dead son brought me back to Evergreen hospital holding Evan. I understand and feel with different eyes now. I mourned for their loss and was so grateful to experience part of their lives through this film.

Here is Jocelyn with Grandma Coleen enjoying the great view of the temple from the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.


I'm so glad we were able to make the trip. We had a narrow window of opportunity with Jovana's tournament schedule and the limited open house weeks, but we did it and it was amazing.

4 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I wished we could have ran into each other, but oh well someday!

    My boys loved the temple, they were so reverent and just raved afterwards. They said it was the best part of the trip. I can't wait unil this summer for the "daybreak" temple.

    I am glad that you had such a great time and had the oppurtunity for Jovanna and your kids to see the temple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got to bring Jovanna here. My kids loved visiting the temple as well and I was so grateful to have the chance to take them inside. I was equally impressed with the organization of the entire process. So smooth, so well done! We still haven't seen the Joseph Smith movie but are planning on going soon. Now I am going to really cry when Alvin dies because I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got to bring Jovanna here. My kids loved visiting the temple as well and I was so grateful to have the chance to take them inside. I was equally impressed with the organization of the entire process. So smooth, so well done! We still haven't seen the Joseph Smith movie but are planning on going soon. Now I am going to really cry when Alvin dies because I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We absolutely LOVED the Joseph Smith movie. It was incredible. I totally cried, too. I'm glad you had a nice trip.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers