March 3, 2009

Works of Art

In the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, there are many many works of art displayed. Every piece is an original. Out of the many many pieces, our tour guide Alex showed us a marvelous bronze statue of Joseph Smith's First Vision. It's a great work of art, but looked strange to me at first. It is SO tall and SO skinny. I started warming up to it when I found out that it swivels around on a little turn table.

My reservations about it totally disappeared after Alex turned it around to point out to us the back of the statue. I love that Heavenly Father's arm is around Jesus. For me, it portrays His love for his son and for us in a very physical sense. There is camaraderie and affection beyond the more exalting work of saving souls.


You know it's a small world when you belong to the church. Alex's favorite seminary teacher was Tymon's cousin Greg Thorpe. I wouldn't have known this, but Coleen was with us and we talked a little bit about Plain City where we were staying and Alex went to the same high school that Greg worked in and then names started crossing and before you know it: It's a Small World.

Here are a couple more pieces...This Indian family is carved out of a single piece of stone. The various colors come from the degrees to which certain portions were polished. It's truly amazing.


Joseph and Emma.

2 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Awesome! Thanks for posting those! How are you doing lately? How is that cd I gave you? Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love the Conference Center. But my favorite is the rooftop. I love the sound of all the water.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers