April 16, 2009

Field Trip

Yesterday was the dreaded tax day of our nation. If you add up all the taxes we pay (income, property, sales, gas, vehicle, payroll, business and operations, etc.) then you get a huge sum that easily adds up to more than half of what we earn.

Knowing that we need to stand up and be counted among those that oppose this excessive taxation and non-stop spending of our government, we attended a TEA Party protest with a thousand like minded citizens. We pulled Jovana out of school so that she could come and participate. We made signs. One of my favorite ones is the one that she is holding...I know what this means to the Americans who sell bonds to the Chinese...I'm not as sure about what this means for a Serbian girl.


Right now our government has saddled each American with $34,000 in debt. That's a lot of money for anyone to pay...but for our family that is nearly $200,000 and Jett doesn't earn that much money.


Enough is enough. The cure is simple: WE SHOULDN'T BE SPENDING MONEY THAT WE DON'T HAVE!!! We CANNOT borrow our way out of debt.


11 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. How fun wish I could have gone to our tea party here in Boise. I just couldn't get it together in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love the posters! Brett and I went to one too last night, but we didn't have any time to make posters. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to the one in Yakima. We were impressed with the turn-out actually. They said between 500-700 people were in attendance. We got the stroller in the car, but didn't quite get posters made. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right. You forgot to add to the "tax burden" the hidden tax in every product/service we buy that is passed on to the consumer by businesses who are taxed. Not to mention car registration fees, school fees, and all the other fees that are just another tax. And how about the money that employers pay in our behalf for payroll tax that if they didn't have to pay could be used to increase wages? Yeah, I'm glad to see you were out there. We made arrangements, my husband even took time off work, but ended up at the doctor instead. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. How neat that you went out and stood up for what you believe. It seems to me that excessive borrowing is what killed our economy in the first place...seems odd to continue that practice to get out of a recession. Also, I hear you on the business taxes. While everyone else was wondering what to spend their refund on Nate and I were always hoping that we had enough saved to pay Uncle Same come April 15th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it really is hard to list ALL of the taxes...I'm glad we don't smoke or drink alcohol. Those taxes are outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We didn't make it, I happened to be at work filing out Personal Property Taxes paperwork for our clients. This one really gets me. You have to pay taxes on the property you already purchased?! (Well net of tax- haha). One client didn't know about it and she was pretty irate! She was wondering how she was going to have the time to make a list of everything the business has and then actually pay more because they owned it. It is so OUT OF HAND! TEA is SO true! Please government - Stop spending money the USA doesn't have!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your signs, Bridget! Ryan went to the TEA party in Phoenix. We had about 6,000 in attendance! Don't you love how the media covered it. Somehow, we have to keep the momentum going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are so proactive, but I didn't go because I don't drink tea. (J/K)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you went to a Tea Party. We wanted to, but didn't find one over here in time!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers