April 14, 2009

Pancake Freak Out

Yesterday, I made pancakes for breakfast. It didn't take long and I called the boys in to eat.


Graeden and Jett came. They were messing around and name calling and hitting and being naughty in general. We had a little fiasco and I wanted to eat in peace, so I locked them out of the house. They were left on the deck outside our eating nook. I only had 3 conditions that they had to abide by before they'd be allowed to come back in the house.


#1 - they needed to apologize for their ill behavior
#2 - they needed to be happy
#3 - they needed to sing me a song


So, I was able to eat while they screamed and cried. I didn't feel too bad...except Jett was in his standard potty training attire (naked) and it was chilly out. I called for Elliott to come down and eat. Graeden refused to comply with my request and he (barefoot) went to find another way into the house (basement door). I was surprised that Elliott didn't let him in. I called Elliott again to come for breakfast. While Graeden was gone, I let Jett in but put him in the mud room sink until he could sing me a song. What's funny or terrible or sad is that Jett is often "trapped" in the high chair or sink or where ever I put him because he "thinks" that he can't get out. He really can and I work with him on helping him to realize that he really can get out or down. I kind of like being able to contain him but I also want him to know that he has quite a bit of power and can help himself.


Anyway, about this time, I was annoyed that Elliott wasn't coming for breakfast and went to find him. I opened the door to the basement and saw that the light was off, so I headed upstairs. The play room was empty. His bedroom was empty. I started to panic. Where was he? How long had it been since I'd seen him? 20 minutes? I didn't know. I raced through the house and checked the bathtubs to make sure he hadn't drowned. Then I calmed myself and systematically searched the entire house, room by room and under each bed. I was going crazy. I went outside and called to Graeden to see if he knew where Elliott was. He said he was in the basement. Nope, not there. I even went down to check because he could have been there playing with the light off and not answering me...


Many thoughts ran through my mind. I was committed to finding him before I called 911. I wanted a body. I was pretty sure he was in the house. I just didn't know where and I was terrified. My spirits were dejected with each empty room and each empty hiding spot. Pancakes are his favorite breakfast and it is extremely unusual for him to ignore a call to come and eat them. I tried to prepare myself for finding him dead. My emotions swirled around in my mind and it was VERY DIFFICULT for me to concentrate on my systematic search.


Just before I gave up and called anyway, I went into the garage. There Elliott was sitting in my car loading up on candy that he was not supposed to have.


I took the candy out of his hands, hugged him and sat on the chair in the family room and cried. I told him how much I love him and how I was frightened when I couldn't find him. He needs to tell me where he is going. No surprises. I thought he'd died. And Elliott's reaction ... Huh? Is there a problem? Am I not getting in trouble for sneaking candy? Where are the pancakes?

4 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Kakšna izkušnja! Me je med branjem kar stiskalo pri srcu. There are times when I feel overwhelmed with just two active kids around. Can't even imagine what it must be like to have a whole bunch...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would kill him. Hug him, tell him I'm happy he's okay, and then I would kill him. ;)

    In the mean time, I would probably burn the pancakes...

    Seriously, I'm very happy and thankful that everything worked out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is crazy! That happened to me the other day. TJ went to a friend's house and didn't tell me. I thought he was out on his scooter, but he usually checks back in to tell me what he finds or sees. After 20 minutes I was panicking. I didn't call 911, I called his two dads. I wasn't going to call 911 until I had checked every possible place first. I checked four neighbors before finding him! I think he cried more than I did! So yeah. .. and that isn't the first time! He went to the high school in Cedar and played soccer with the soccer team in bare feet and snow on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate that feeling! I have had it a few times, myself. I think that any of us who have more than 3 kids can understand how easy it is to "lose" one. Ugh. It is such a horrible feeling. I'm so sorry you had to go through it. Hope it's the last time. ;~)
    Having never experienced the death of one of my children, I can't imagine the extent of horror and grief you must have been feeling as you searched for him!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers