October 26, 2009

Everything Good

It seems to me that a lot of the good things in life are sometimes a little out of reach. Take Jocelyn for example. She is a proficient table climber, just like most of brothers were. None were as infamous as Evan for his early skills, but they all figured out that there were treasures to be found at heights.


Today, Jocelyn discovered for herself how wonderful homemade raspberry jelly can be. She loves it just like me. Her dedicated efforts to become more coordinated have paid off in a sweet way. And though she is now cleaned up, I had to leave the mess to get my photo and I had to blog before the opportunity changed.


Last week, I helped put together our company meeting and I also attended a continuing ed workshop. The workshop was mostly useless in terms of helpful information, but I did however glean from a few of the presenters some great teaching styles and effective presentation methods. I am in awe of one presenter who teaches for one of our direct competitors. I want to learn from him and attend his classes. Our business relationship may not allow this, but it would be cool if it did. He took a topic that I could give you a 3 minute run down in and actually spent 45 minutes teaching the topic to a group of 200+. For those who didn't understand the topic before, now they will never forget it. While I only picked up one point that I didn't know, I did note several things he was doing to pique the interest and participation of the group.

And pretty much I have desired the skill of being able to work a crowd and teach effectively for as long as I can remember. I'm not talking about just presenting material and cutting out the uhs and ums. I'm talking about really connecting with an audience and motivating them to be an active participant in learning. Most frequently, my audience is my children. And I'm really proud of myself that I've been able to teach a couple of lessons lately without losing my temper (which happens more frequently than I'd like to admit.) Less often, I teach a group of teenagers skills designed to keep them collision-free for life. It is challenging for me to lead their learning process, as most of them know everything anyway (ha ha) and are not interested in sitting in yet another class. Occasionally, I teach in church, but that's been a while.

In church yesterday we had a lesson on staying focused on what's really important in life. Sometimes, we get caught up with whatever is thrown at us in the moment and we lose sight of our goals. Nehemiah rebuilt Jerusalem after fires destroyed the city in 52 days. That's pretty amazing to me. What major restoration project have you ever heard of being completed in less than two months? There was fierce opposition and Nehemiah armed the Jews with swords while they worked. How easy was it to work and also be ready to be attacked? His enemies asked him to meet with them and he replied that he was

"doing a great work, so that I cannot come down: why should the work cease, whilst I leave it, and come down to you?"
Many important things demand my time. None are more important than my family. They are one of the good things in my life that are so very in reach. Like Nehemiah, I must focus my energy to what really matters to me and put down any distraction that comes to thawrt me. For now, if I can learn how to effectively work a crowd of small children, I will be successful in everything that matters.
Posted by Picasa

7 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Isn't it strange how the toughest audiences are often those that are closest to you? Maybe it's because we always take for granted what's always available. I know that I get tired of listening to myself sometimes... :) Good thoughts Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definately worked this crowd! Very Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I need some of that. FOr some reason I get all of the behavior-problem kids who don't want to be in school and just want to cause problems to get attention. And every time I give it to them, they win! Ugh! One day at a time I guess. I wish inspiring moments in teaching happened everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen. sometimes the hardest things are the most important ones. well. sorry i didn't respond sooner. it's been a crazy week. we would love to do the discover museum in everett. let's do next week though if that works for you. i'm open anyday. we could go at 10 or whenever it opens. what do you think? it might be easier to email. mine is kltennis33@yahoo.com. thnkx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this posting. Sorry I've been out of "blogworld" lately. I'll get back into the swing of things eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers