January 30, 2010

Heaps of Paper

For some reason (well I think it was meant to be), our internet wasn't working today. I spent all day sorting through papers. Recycling. Recycling. Recycling. We moved over 14 months ago and still have 6 boxes stacked in our office waiting to find a place in our home. The great news is that we used to have 10 boxes, so really I made some great progress today. And the side bonus is that I can actually see the top of my desk.

Nine years ago, I was loving college. Loving my classes. Loving my friends. And I loved writing. I found this beauty this afternoon and reminisced about this night and so many others...

A Toast To My Pal Erin:

The two boys questioned each other,
"Hey! You an' me? You an' me?"
As they surrounded you with dancing grooves.
It's all bump and grind, lacking the sublime.

The typically timid lawyer guy stopped his gyration
When you demanded, "what are you doing?"

His twinkling eyes shifted from you,
To his cohort, and then back at you with confidence.
Over the pounding bass Legal Weasel blurted out,
"I'm the Engergizer Bunny, an' I got the gift that keeps on givin'!"
Your eyebrows raised in disbelief. "Are you for real?"

Erin Parkinson,
756-6508
May all your Friday nights
Be full of memories to laugh about
And cry over.

6 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Who is Erin? Sounds familiar? Was that the one snuggling with Brett all the time? Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are so cool. You should collect those in a book someday. Your writing is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's the Erin. She ended up marrying another guy we went to college with...but not the lawyer guy. ha ha ha. His behavior that night was SO odd. Unbelievable. That was such a great dance. I'd forgotten about it until I read the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious! Do you have one about me from our junior high years? Nah, just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Bridget,
    I decided to write this on your blog rather than Natalie's. I don't want to take away her grief or add to it through mine! :)
    My baby died right before I was supposed to give birth. It's been some time now...almost 4 years,crazy how time really does fly.
    Here is the link on my family blog
    http://californiarandlefamily.blogspot.com/2008/02/this-is-video-about-our-daugther-kate.html

    You have to pause the music on my blog to hear the video.

    I really did love your comments on Natalie's blog. So sweet and perfectly written.

    I also started my own foundation called "Project Hope" you can read about it here on my photography blog! :)
    http://allysonrandlephotography.blogspot.com/2009/11/project-hope.html

    It's for those who have suffered the loss of a child.
    Lots of love to you...how about your story?

    xoxo
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness girl, I am so thankful I scrolled down on your page today to find this little gem!!!! I am going to copy and paste that sucker right onto my blog I think! :) What a talented girl you are!
    Was I really known as the girl who snuggled with Brett all the time? HILARIOUS!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers