January 14, 2010

Jury Duty

I have been called to jury duty twice ... or maybe three times. The first was just after I moved away from college...so I was ineligible. The second....and this one seems hazy so maybe it didn't happen...I was called a few years ago and had something else going on so I got out of it.

I was called to do jury duty this week. And there were just a few great things about this time around. I wouldn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to take a bus into Seattle like my brother had to do a while back when he served in the federal court. My courthouse is 3 minutes away from my house. Parking is a non-issue in our city. Amber was free to watch my kids. (I should've cut a deal for her to watch them while I gave her my $10 a day pay. ha ha ha.) But truly the greatest is that I was excited to be able to take part in the American justice system. I won't get to sit with these folks this week, though.



I called in to hear my instructions last night and found that no jurors were needed. So, this ends another installment of my "I don't get to be on a jury" stories. I'm not even sure why I want to do it. There's an off chance that I could be called on a case like my dad a few years ago. The trial lasted weeks. That wasn't fun for him.

And I'm not sure that I would have been chosen if had even made it past the initial interview, though. This courthouse is mainly for traffic violators. And well, I'm pretty sure no defense attorney would want to choose a traffic safety instructor who's been hit by a drunk driver to sit on their jury. Maybe next time...

4 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Sorry you missed out on yet another jury duty week! :) I have been asked 4 times as well, but only served once (for similar reasons as yours). However, all 3 mornings I showed up, and each case was for drunk driving. As soon as they found out I don't drink, and don't think it is smart for anyone else to drink... I was quickly excused each day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. Nate has always wanted to serve jury duty too, but as a Canadian citizen his dream will sadly never be fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bridget. Wow, I am trying to figure out why someone would say not to read that book. The only reason I can come up with is that after reading soo many stories of people who have been contacted by a deceased family member or friend...you might feel "left out" if you haven't. It's my opinion that most people aren't contacted, but while reading the book it can feel like you're the only one who hasn't been.

    No, I haven't lost a kid or anyone extremely close (except for grandparents). But if I had, this book would bring a lot of comfort. The book points out the many ways spirits can and do communicate with us...a couple stories have to do with butterflies, as you mentioned.

    Another good one I read years ago is "Closer to the Light." Kids who have had near-death experiences and related how heaven was. Very Cool! If you look into these books, let me know what you think. And if for some reason that commenter was right (highly doubt it), please let me know, as I will be more careful who I recommend it too.

    I am so sorry to hear about your loss, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I served on a jury last fall. It was all very interesting learning how trials are in real life (which is definitely different than TV). They had an alternate juror for the case so right before the jurors were to deliberate after hearing all the testimony I was randomly selected to be the alternate which meant I didn't have to decide the case and could leave then. It was a great experience for me. Kristal Andersen

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers