February 4, 2010

Come Hell or High Water

Jovana was a joy to have in our home. We shared more life experiences together than one family should ever really have to share and in so doing she truly became one of us (sorry to the Paunovic clan, we're actually out to steal her from you). One of the greatest blessing of having Jovana stay with us was her dedication to accomplishing the only assignment she technically had. In the beginning, we talked about various chores that are necessary to keeping a household running. We gave her a choice of what she wanted to do and she chose one of my most dreaded tasks...the dishes.


Jovana leads and active life. Always doing something. (I guess everyone is always doing something, but Jovana's activities were pretty worthwhile somethings.) It didn't matter what had happened during the day, whether she came home on the school bus or after play practice or we picked her up from a debate tournament at 11:30 pm, Jovana ALWAYS did the dishes when she got home. She even did dishes if she had been out of town on a trip for a few days with her exchange group or the debate team and came home to a full sink. It didn't matter what time it was. It mattered to her that she completed her chore.

Oh how I love Jovana! Not because she did the dishes all the time. But because she taught me about how much effort and diligence it takes to accomplish goals. It's not something that just happens. It really requires dedication.

Last week, after living in a disaster zone of a home for weeks, I had an idea. Usually, my ideas are short lived. But this one I named: Come Hell or High Water. So already, just by putting hell in the title of my idea, it was destined to be a hit. I emailed Tymon with a list of daily duties. He could chose one for him and one for me. I did the same. We discussed it and then we decided to either do the one we chose or the one that meant the most to the other. Tymon chose dishes and I chose counters with the school papers/mail sorting mess.

AND...after a week, our house still has disaster elements to it. BUT at the end of the day we are both putting in a little bit of effort and it's paying off with LESS chaos.

2 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Oh that's what "Come Hell or High Water" was about.
    I remember how Bapa used to tease me about my "That's my obligation" statement. =]
    Thank you so much for so many nice words about me. It’s been a pleasure being a member of your family and participating in all your guys’ activities. It's been a pleasure doing the dishes as well. =]
    I am glad you guys are excited about the new organizational system. =] Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget,
    Just so you know...
    I wrote my most recent post about Bronson with you in mind. I know that your "crap" has been harder than most but you have handled it so beautifully and been such an inspiration to me. You are one of my hero moms! So... thank you for sharing your story with me.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers