February 17, 2010

Cookies for Dinner

It's happening. I'm turning into my mother....trying to "hide" nutrition in my cooking. Well, hide isn't exactly the right word. My kids actually like dumping grain into my new grain mill and hearing the racket and then seeing the flour appear in the bin. But seriously folks, this is getting out of control. And by "this", I mean me.

I permanently borrowed a whole grain book(let) from my parents a few years ago because of its outlook on grains. I liked it because it supports using whole grains to feed our bodies and doesn't rely on supplements or vitamins or whatever else makes up the new fad. And it is supported by the Word of Wisdom, a health law I firmly believe in. The book teaches that each grain has a body function that it helps support. For example, oats help the bladder, barley the heart, wheat the liver and there are more. If you combine these grains into mixes then the benefits of the flour on your organs and health become synergistic. 


I just made the kids Cookies for Dinner. These bad boys are made with kamut/wheat/barley/oat/pea (yes that green tint is from peas) flour. I substituted in ground flax seed instead of using oil or butter. No sugar...well there is agave syrup - the sweetest low glycemic miracle ever. And peanut butter and banana. I like these cookies and so did my kids. I like the look of the ones I rolled in my hand better than the ones I just dropped on the pan. There are several recipes in the Cookies for Dinner book, but I decided to just see what happened when I substituted my special flour, sugar and fatty flax seed into a normal recipe. It works. Hallelujah. I think we're going to survive without white flour.

5 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. That's awesome! I'm trying to understand the WoW better, and figure out how to improve our health. Did you know agave is low-glycemic, but that is because it is extremely high fructose? http://jonnybowdenblog.com/the-truth-about-agave-nectar-it%E2%80%99s-all-hype/ Just be aware that you trade one sugar for another. I'm curious how everyone likes the cookies? Do you serve fresh veggies or any other food and drink with them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plaid,

    I liked the agave because of its low glycemic properties and it tastes good. I've used less than a cup total in our entire lives (all in the past week)...so nothing extreme by any means. We have an appt. with an endocrinologist on Monday and I'll be able to get more information then on good or acceptable sugar/sweeteners. Basically, I won't use sugar substitute. I want something natural.

    The kids liked the cookies. I served them as an after school snack at 4pm. Then went to swim lessons and got home about 7pm. I gave them turkey/cheese wraps then. What I'm actually trying to do is to get them (and me) to prefer whole grains. I already can't stand many processed foods - like boxed au gratin potatoes you just add water to and bake.

    My children already love vegetables (salad, raw carrots, raw peas and cooked broccoli, asparagus, artichokes) and all sorts of fruit. Last summer/fall, I planted 6 blue berry bushes in our yard and then each child has a different type of fruit tree in the yard (we have 1/2 acre).

    So basically, we're already on a good path. I do love my new ability to mill any grain I want. So far, I've just bought small bags of various grains...just to make sure I'm really serious about this. Next step will be larger purchases of 25 or 50 pound sacs and smaller pantry storage options.

    Anyway, I would say our first step started a few years ago when I found out that flax seed is oily and can be substituted for butter/oil in recipes. If a recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of butter then you put in 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed. The kids got used to seeing flax flecks in their pancakes or other select items. I would say that changed the look a little but not so much the taste.

    Your older kids may rebel if the change is too much too quickly. I remember one of my mom's friends growing up was into using wheat and no sugar (used honey). As a teen, I thought she was wacko. And here I am 20 years later making the same choices.

    At this point, my oldest is 6. He rarely gets food outside of home...so this works for us. A cheap starter option would be to use Bob Red Mill products from the grocery store. EVERY recipe I've tried on the backs of their packages have been good. The bulgar/flax pilaf is delicious and I served it with much success - even to dinner guests. So, my goal is to find great recipes that pass the guest test. Then I think my kids will want to bring friends over for dinner and not be embarrassed by a wacko no sugar lady. ha ha ha

    Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Plaid for the link. I didn't know there was any controversy with agave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't checked your blog for a while - you've been busy! I love the family picture you posted on the sidebar. It's so sweet to see Evan's picture too. I love that, it's what helps me feel better about taking family photos! It just feels better knowing that everyone is represented. Cool bread machine too - I've heard good things about that brand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh No! NO! NO! I think HIDE is exactly the right word! Bridget likes to hide lots of surprises in food, and not just grain! Watch out for anyone with allergies to any foods! She'll spike your food with ingredients that you are allergic to just to see if you are really allergic! Yeah! Hide is a good word there Bridgey!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers