February 15, 2010

"Doughnuts"

For Valentine's Day, Tymon got me a grain mill. Now to most people this may not sound exciting and may even land them in The Dog House. I, on the other hand, really wanted one.


The first thing I wanted to try was making an alternative flour...like as in one not made with wheat. I had about 1/2 a cup of 3 different "grains" and so I decided to use those up because they've been in my pantry a long time...not as long as my yeast...but a fair amount of time.
These little balls were suposed to be parmasan cheese biscuits. They should have been fabulous. Jovana and I used to make them...and they don't need yeast so everything was looking good. Ha h ahahahhahaaaa. Wow. It turns out that navy bean/yellow split pea/lentil flour is disgusting....even with the parmasan. Who knew??? The best part is that the boys called them doughnuts and they each ate several along with Jocelyn. And I thought their taste buds were getting more developed. Nope. At least my baking efforts didn't go to waste. I think I'll stick to recipes in my new book: The Power of Flour, which teaches you how to cook with lots of different flours.

1 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. You made flour out of beans, lentils and split peas? And then actually used it? I applaud your courage. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers