February 28, 2010

Small World

I met Hannah this morning. She was visiting our church for the first time. She has bright eyes and a contagious smile. Immediately, I like her. We chatted a little bit. She's the 6th of 11 children in her family. It turns out that her family attends the same religious group that my chiropractor with 9 children attends. They all have large families and are very open and friendly. They are seriously good people. I shared that we had 5 children in 5 years. I didn't expect her next question. "Wow. Do you have 2 in diapers then?" Uh, no. If I had known that little comment would lead to me dropping a bomb...I probably would not have mentioned it. Most people say something like my hands must be full with 5 kids. They are. With 5. With 4. It's still true. My hands are full. Grieving for a child can be as weighty as actually having that child run around your house, dumping his dinner plate, or coloring on walls. And I am the mother of 5 children within 5 years.

We continued...I was a bit uncomfortable having definitely changed the atmosphere around our conversation. I wanted to make it positive. I'm a different person now. If I could, I would take all of the lessons I've learned since September 2008 and be a better person without having Evan die. Alas, it was not meant to be. Evan continues to change me. He is the catalyst for much of my growth.

As more of my story unfolded, Hannah surprised me by blurting out that she had prayed for our family after Evan died. Her compassion for a family - my family- who she didn't know touches my heart. And the connection I feel with her solidifies.

Another family that goes to my chiropractor's church moved in three doors down from our old house not too long before we moved. We knocked on their door on Halloween 2008. They invited us in. We chatted for 10 minutes or so and the boys got treats. Our story unfolded a little bit. They had heard about us from our chiropractor. They didn't know we were neighbors. They had been praying for us. Hannah came to our neighbors after we had gone.

So many of our paths cross each other. It's a small world. And so much smaller with the personal connections and prayers we offer on behalf of others.

3 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. "Grieving for a child can be as weighty as actually having that child run around your house, dumping his dinner plate, coloring on walls. And I am the mother of 5 children within 5 years."

    I read this part to my husband and you have us both in tears. I have never seen that explanation written that way and it makes perfect sense to me. I'm sure the grieve can be more weighty at times! We still think about you all the time. Thanks for this insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. grammar correction
    **grief, not grieve**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget,
    I think that is such a great and true post.
    It's amazing the connection we all have, and the people under the radar that helped and prayed for us even when they did not know us.
    I totally know that there are angels on earth...xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers