March 13, 2010

A Hand Washing Problem

Not long after I posted about my slightly elevated blood sugar levels, Graeden asked me to test his blood. I did. Normal fasting ranges are in the 70s, 80s and 90s. My elevated one was 107. Diabetes is officially diagnosed at 126. So, I poked my little 6 year old boy. He had a 313. Uh, yeah. I don't know a ton about diabetes, but I know that his score was too high. I poked him again 90 minutes later and he was down to 219. I tested him several times a day for the next few days. His highest level was a 461...even if the meter was 10% off that still left him with a score over 400.

Long story short: his pediatrician did a test. Normal. Told me to wait until Graeden showed more signs of being diabetic (urinating frequently and excessive thirst). Uh, no. I'm not okay with that. What about catching a pancreatic problem in the beginning before the organ totally dies? My cousin's sister-in-law got Graeden a next day appointment to see a pediatrician who practices with a pediatric endocrinologist (whose practice is closed to new patients). New pediatrician ran 8 other tests, 3 of which look for antibodies for insulin resistance. Some tests came back normal. Insulin levels were low. Referred us to pediatric endocrinologist. Advised to wash hands with soap and water before testing. Swabbing with alcohol before the poke isn't enough. Antibodies test came back negative.

After one month of good hand washing and great scores, I am satisfied that my little Graeden does NOT have diabetes. But he does have a great attitude. He's VERY aware of blood sugar levels. And he knows that I will go to great lengths to help him.

Interesting side affect: he has turned into a lovable, huggy sort of boy...the boy I was gifted with. Seriously, his attitude has improved tremendously over the past couple of weeks.

And me? I quit testing my blood a few weeks ago. I was going insane with the constant monitoring. But I'm ever curious. About an hour after dinner tonight (at Red Robin - plenty of carbs to boost my numbers), I washed my hands well and tested myself. Uh, an insanely low number appeared. So I tested again. And again. Still low. I ate 20 jelly bellys and tested an hour later. Low. Nice.

So, either the meter is off or I, like Graeden, had a hands washing problem.

3 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Yeah! Good thing, you teeny tiny size six! Yay! That's the kind of problem I like to hear about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha, that is so funny. I was going to call you and see how things were. I'm glad they got you in the next day! And, that everything is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great to hear! Love, Kristal

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers