April 2, 2010

Delightful!

Every so often, one of the healthy recipes is great in it's own right and not just because it is supposed to be good for you. So, if you want to have pancakes for dinner, these ones made with potatoes and topped with herb butter are delightful. They are simple to make, too. And the great thing about pancakes is that they are pretty forgiving if you want to substitute any of the ingredients for ones you actually have in your cupboard. Over the past little while I've been buying alternative flours and actually had these on hand. BUT I'm sure they'd be good with whatever kind of flour you had in the pantry.


Mix together (but not too much)
  • 3/4 cup yogurt, 
  • 1 and 1/4 cup water, 
  • 2 eggs, 
  • 1 and 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (leftovers work great, mine were 1/2 white and 1/2 sweet), 
  • 1 cup brown rice flour, 
  • 1 cup kamut flour, 
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt


Cook like you would a pancake. The recipe makes 20 2-inch pancakes and maybe 14 or 15 3-inch ones.

Top with herb butter.
Melt 4 Tbsp. butter.
Add a clove of garlic.

Turn off heat and add 3/4 cup fresh herbs (chopped). I used cilantro because that's all I had. But I'm pretty sure basil and chives would have been excellent choices, as well.
Posted by Picasa

1 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Yum.... I'll have to give them a try, except I have a slight intolerance to cilantro so I'll see what I have available. :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers