April 11, 2010

Loss

When I caught up with my husband on Friday evening, he asked me if I knew that my uncle's house had burned down. He had read it on my cousin's Facebook status update. What?! Are you kidding me? I called my mom. We are talking about her brother after all. My mom hadn't heard about it and made some calls. There was something about working on a motorcycle. A gas spill. A spark. Thankfully, no one was hurt. (Video link of the fire filmed by a neighbor.)


My first impression was that it would be terrible to lose everything, but it shifted to thinking about the positive. Now they can build a new dream home. This is an opportunity to start again. They live across the street from a lake and host the family's annual Independence Day BBQ. We have many good memories there with the family and boating, wake-boarding, jet-skiing and other lake activities. Teasing remarks about fire(s) ran through my head. Like this: fortunately, my cousin just moved out. Unfortunately, he left his stuff at the family home. Really, Bridget? Please insert some consideration for them. This is too new for jokes.

Yesterday, I stopped by their business to see if any of their driving school cars had been in the fire. We got him started in the driving school business several years ago and work together. Is their business still operational? If we could help with a spare instruction vehicle or two while new cars were being bought/equipped. No one was there and I drove by their house. My heart dropped and tears came to my eyes as I pulled up the driveway. The weight of the destruction hit me and I experienced a small portion of the suffocating emotions that come from loss. I am devastated for them. I hope they had their photos backed up on another computer. I hope that the beautiful photo slide presentation they just made for my cousin's wedding a few weeks ago was in my cousin's new place. I also hope they are coping well together. That there isn't anger and blame. Tragedy can bind us together or tear us apart.


We are hardly ever totally prepared for each disaster that hits our families. We take our losses and we move forward. The best we can. And that's hard.

3 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. That is completely aweful!!!! It is so easy to joke about it, until it would be actually you that it would happen to . We recently had a fire in our neighborhood that destroyed the home. Everyone was outside, watching, and chatting. I made the remark that there's nothing like a local house fire to make a person slow down enough to catch up with your neighbors. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. That would be heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I went by yesterday. It is extremely sad, my prayers go out to the Pierce Family. I went there with the intention of helping them salvage anything else they could, but the real tragedy is that it was almost all destroyed. Larry said they were able to salvage most of their pictures. I'm so relieved everyone got out. Everything else is replaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO sad. I am so sorry for their loss.
    I am glad that your uncle and his family got out of the house on time and were safe.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers