May 6, 2010

I Heart Artichokes

I was a girl, maybe about 9 or 10, when I first experienced the pure delight of an artichoke. We were visiting my grandparents in California...where the greatest of the great artichokes are grown. I now recognize that my brain releases some sort of satisfaction hormone when I reach the heart. I work hard to eat my way to it. And for those last moments with me and my artichoke,  I close my eyes and smile until that last bite disappears.

In our house we refer to them as dessert. They are a huge treat. I only buy them when they are less than $1.50 each. And that doesn't happen very often. We had some jumbo ones last week. Tonight we had some medium sized ones. I steam them for 45-60 minutes (depending on their size) and then we dip the leaves in mayonnaise before scraping the flesh off with our teeth. Some people dip them in melted butter. But we're a mayonnaise family.

In college, my pal Erin and I found some little artichokes once that were 5 for a $1. We each got 5 and went and had a party with just us and them. She's a fan of melted butter.

Graeden's first 3-syllable word was artichoke. He used to give me his heart. Not anymore. He knows it's the best part.

Jocelyn will usually chew on a leaf or two, but during dinner her mind was elsewhere. Namely, with the bowl of strawberries on the counter. Wouldn't you know it....her first 3 syllable word is "strawberry".
Posted by Picasa

7 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Sorry... it's so melted butter for me. Hmm, I think we'll have some with my mothers day dinner. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I heart Artichokes too! Now I really want to go to the store and buy some. Mayonnaise is my preferred condiment of choice as well, but my hubby's a melted butter fan. I wonder what my kid's will choose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you introducing me to artichokes in college! :) They always make me think of you. :) Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister in law gave me a bag of artichokes for Mother's Day. Yay! Thanks Anais. And my brother thought it was a random gift. OBVIOUSLY, he doesn't read my blog! ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had the taste of a full artichoke once in college and loved every minute of it, but it is definitely the melted butter for me. I never buy them because they are very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love artichokes too and Ryan and I had them for our special treat after the kids went to be on Mother's Day. And it's all about the mayo!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers