May 4, 2010

Meet Danica

I got the list of exchange students coming next year and saw that one girl, Danica, is from Belgrade, Serbia. I forwarded her photo and info blurb to Jovana to ask if she knew her. Ha ha ha. Belgrade is a city of over 1.6 million people. 

Instead of laughing at such a remote possibility, Jovana confirmed that she didn't know her and then proceeded to write me the kindest letter in return.
I definitely see the year I spent with you as a “crossroad” year of my life. I believe I have changed in a good way. I could not have done it without you guys... As I think about the mission you had with me, I feel the tear go down my cheek.  I learned a lot from all of you: Tymon, Bridget, Graeden, Elliott, Jett, Evan and Jocelyn. I miss you. Your role in my life is so significant.
That’s why I think you should get another student. I know you are amazing and you can share so much experience and nice moments with others.
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. And I really want you guys to be happy…
So, with Jovana's gentle persuasion, we seriously considered hosting again. The only major question was whether or not Danica liked children...because we have quite a few and that can make or break an experience. We made it a matter of prayer and then decided that we should proceed with the application process. We are now hosting again. Danica called us on Easter to introduce herself, which seems pretty gutsy to me. I'd be feeling awkward in the same position...and she was probably nervous. However, she seems very communicative and her English skills are fabulous. She'll arrive at the end of August and spend next school year with our family.


I gave Jovana Danica's phone number and Jovana called her.
We have 12 mutual friends. Isn’t that crazy. =] She lives in the neighborhood where I grew up. =] Such a coincidence. =] And my friend Marija knows her boyfriend. They attend the same faculty in Belgrade. I met him too. That’s how I heard about Danica. Marija showed me their (Danica’a and her boyfriend’s) pictures on facebook several months ago. (…)
Ok… So I have already called Danica…and we talked for about 30 minutes. She had a lot of questions. She seems nice. I will meet up with her one day next week. I will find out more about her. I told her about you guys, about the kids, school, church... There were so many things that I wanted to talk about… so I started tons of stories, and didn’t finish them. Hopefully I did not confuse her. THE MOST important thing that I found out so far is that she REALLY LOVES CHILDREN. =]
Since then they have met and Jovana gave us a full report of their 2 hour meet up. I believe that Danica will also find a special place in our home and hearts. 


And have I shared the MOST exciting event that will be happening in June??? Jovana will be coming to visit. For an entire month. AND if Lufthansa offers to give her $2000 in vouchers to be bumped on her return flight (like they did last time), she has promised to take them up on it. Yay!!!

4 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Hey Bridget, How do you get exchange students? I don't know that our lifestyle is as suited to it as yours, but it sure sounds like an awesome experience....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sooo cool to find such a kindred connection! So what exchage company to you go through?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The exchange company is International Student Exchange. www.iseusa.com

    If you go to the website, there is a section for prospective host families. Host families basically provide room and board. Students have their own health insurance and spending money for activities and personal items.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool that you did this. WOW

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers