July 11, 2010

Something Fishy

June left me basically incapacitated by my airborne grass/pollen allergies. My Facebook status "gouging my eyes out" produced comments for a couple of days. Luckily NO one "liked" it. That's a relief. Otherwise, I may have had to poke them in the eye and drop in a thousand eye lashes. Because that is what it felt like was in mine. And I want to be kind to others.

I should have had my LDA allergy shot on June 12th. But I cancelled it. We were having Evan's birthday party and Jovana's welcome home party then. I didn't want to do the LDA diet. I wanted to be able to eat and socialize. By the mid-June I was dying. Seriously. The itch was taking over and I ceased to function normally. I know I fooled all of you with my fantastic posts but all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and end the misery.
I wanted to wait until after Jovana left for my shot. But I couldn't do it. On July 1st I got it and life turned beautiful. Except not for my stomach. The LDA diet leaves much to be desired. It's pretty much a handful of vegetables and limited meats. About that. Meat. I don't like the taste of lamb. Rabbit and venison are not readily available for purchase. And well, I hate fish. 


DON'T EVEN LECTURE ME ON FISH. I don't care about the health benefits. I will get my omega 3 fatty acids from flax. Please don't say that I just haven't tried the right kind. I have. Probably 25 different varieties. Remember I lived on Mainland China for a spell. And under most circumstances, I won't offend my hosts by refusing to eat something. 


In China, we often chose our meal from an aquarium in front of a restaurant. It was just about as fresh as you could get. As in we saw it swimming 10 minutes prior to being on our plates. It was there that I discovered my anaphylaxic reaction to crab. Like as in throat swelling and difficulty breathing.


I want you to understand that the smell of anything fishy creates a gag reflex and is despised above all else. It is seriously a huge deal for me to even sit next to you if we go out and you order seafood to eat.


I also want you to understand that the LDA diet leaves me hungry for 3 days. I try to be creative with the ingredients. But it's super hard. And I have been losing 3-5 pounds with each shot. Not that I'm complaining about that. I've finally shed my pregnancy weight for every kid. But I long for satiety during the LDA shot days.


So which is more important to me? Starving and my fish-free future? Or getting a little protein and feeling full during my LDA diet days? It was a tough call. Really tough. Starving tough. Tymon assured me that Tilapia was mild. Super mild. So mild that I wouldn't even know that I was eating fish.




And there you have it. My potato/rutabaga/carrot cabbage rolls and tilapia. Unbelievable. And delicious. Seriously. I'm sure it will be even better when I can season it with more than just sea salt on non-LDA diet days. What's crazy is that I still have a mental aversion to fish. It's just not as strong as it was before.

1 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I feel the exact same way about fish...except I don't think I'll ever be able call any fish "delicious." That's great that you found one you like though!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers