March 18, 2011

I Don't Buy It


Last night my sister-in-law and I, while my brother watched our kids, went to the movies. I don't go to very many...maybe just one or two a year, so you won't get many reviews out of me but you will tonight because I've been thinking about this one all day. I enjoyed seeing The Adjustment Bureau.

Storyline
Do we control our destiny, or do unseen forces manipulate us? Matt Damon stars in the thriller The Adjustment Bureau as a man who glimpses the future Fate has planned for him and realizes he wants something else. To get it, he must pursue the only woman he's ever loved across, under and through the streets of modern-day New York. On the brink of winning a seat in the U.S. Senate, ambitious politician David Norris (Damon) meets beautiful contemporary ballet dancer Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt)-a woman like none he's ever known. But just as he realizes he's falling for her, mysterious men conspire to keep the two apart. David learns he is up against the agents of Fate itself-the men of The Adjustment Bureau-who will do everything in their considerable power to prevent David and Elise from being together. In the face of overwhelming odds, he must either let her go and accept a predetermined path... Written by Universal Pictures  
Here are my laugh out loud lines:
Elise Sellas: Were you just looking at my legs while I slept? 
David Norris: I was helpless against the dress. 
Elise Sellas: It's a skirt. 
David Norris: It's a belt! 


Despite great acting and cinematography, I had a few issues with the film. First, I didn't like the Adjustment Bureau guys. If they were supposed to be like God's angels, they did a crappy job of it. Angels are likable and helpful. Not controlling and manipulative. God granted us free will and I just don't buy the whole "you can't change your fate" line. It's garbage.

The second and greater issue I had with the film has to do with the romance of the main characters. They barely know each other and fall madly in love. That's not love. It's being in love with the idea of being in love. Those are simply two very different situations.

But what I hate even more is that I wish I had the same type of passionate fairy tale relationship. My brain tells me that this kind of "love" isn't real while at the same time my heart longs for some exciting wild adventure with someone who worships my every move. I'm not knocking Tymon here. It's just that he knows that in addition to all of my fabulous qualities that there are some not so nice things...sometimes I'm cranky and yell at the kids or even get frustrated with him. Only my inner circle knows that I can flatulate with the best of them ... and occasionally blame it on my kids. Quite honestly, I wouldn't even be happy trying to keep up an image of perfection. Yet a part of me wants to and wonders if this illusion of love can be real.

I don't believe I'm alone in my desires. Hollywood wouldn't make any money if this all too common story line didn't sell. And it wouldn't sell if everyone had a wonderful happily ever after relationship. (Case in point, compare the difference in profits between documentary and blockbuster films.) All new relationships age, some flat-line and revive. Others fail. Rather than always needing a new relationship it's far healthier to work on and appreciate the ones we already have.

I'm grateful for a loving husband who works diligently to provide a good life for our family. We have been blessed with several children, great friends and neighbors, good health, a nice home and a comfortable life. Tymon and I hold common religious and political views and practices, come together on financial concerns and enjoy spending time with one another. Though not always perfect, we have a solid relationship.

So, thank you Adjustment Bureau for reminding me that I have a ton of blessings. Today I choose not to fall prey to your deceptive view on love. I just don't buy it.

2 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Thanks for the post. And not trying to hide behind a curtain of perfection. It's good not to be a lone :) And besides, Hollywood has been selling us this stuff since childhood. Did Cinderella and Ariel ever do us any real good? It sort of makes me mad that so many people buy into this crappy idea that you can just fall for someone and you can be passionate and blindingly in love forever, no worries, no problems. But I suppose it would be really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your blatant honesty and any post with the word flatulate in it is great for a laugh. Here's to having wild romances with the men we know and love in spite of what we know.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers