April 20, 2011

A Little Crumbly

I wanted to make some bread this morning...and use some of the large variety of flours in my pantry. I decided it was time to open my teff flour. Teff is an ancient grain of Ethiopia...and gluten-free. I noticed this morning that it's high in iron. As in 20% of your daily iron value in 1/4 cup. I got distracted from baking some bread and decided to try the peanut butter cookie recipe instead. Because each cookie gives me 5% of my iron. Increasing my iron levels will make my mid-wife happy. And cookies sound better than a constipating iron pill. These are the best looking cookies I've made in a long time. Maybe ever.


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (325 for convection).
2. Combine 1 and 1/2 cups teff flour and 1/2 tsp. sea salt.
3. Blend 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 cup peanut butter.
4. Mix wet and dry ingredients together.
5. Shape into walnut-sized balls and flatten with fork.
6. Bake 15 minutes (12 for convection).
7. Makes 2 dozen. (Leave on cookie sheet a minute or two after pulling from the oven...sooner creates more crumbs.)


The only drawback? They're crummy. As in this is the remnants of ONE cookie that Jocelyn ate. Somehow, Jett was able to eat one without too many crumbs. He's got a "method" he's pretty proud of for doing that. Which means, I'll need to try a couple more recipes before giving up on it. Ha ha.

5 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Crumbly or not, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - I am definitely happy to discover this. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even begin to tell you how good a gluten-free cookie sounds right now. I've been gluten-free for about a month now... I feel so deprived!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookies look really yummy. I don't think I've ever heard of teff flour, however. I guess I need to branch out a little. :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers