July 2, 2011

Birth Story: Jocelyn, The Fifth - A Home Birth

As luck would have it, I was actually blogging when Jocelyn was born. So, you've already read this story. But if you haven't been reading my blog for the past 3 years, read Jocelyn's birth story here. The week before Jocelyn's birth was the most difficult of my life. I had wanted her to be born early like Evan.

That all changed with Evan's sudden death on Tuesday, September 23, 2008. My prayers changed to that of not going into labor while being in the Emergency Room. And while making burial arrangements. Meeting with the funeral home. Going to the cemetery. Planning a funeral for Saturday. Wondering if we'd get Evan's body back from the coroner in time. Friends and tons of family flooding into town.


Evan's accident was in itself enough to turn our world upside down. But for me, the underlying stress of an impending birth just added to the burden. Heike came to the funeral. I was unsure of what would happen with me. With Jocelyn. I couldn't even write down that Evan had a sister in his funeral program. I didn't want to assume the ultrasound had been accurate on Jocelyn's gender.



It was accurate. And as soon as the last of our family had left town (well, later that afternoon), I had my first contraction. We planned another home birth, my favorite birthing place. Jocelyn was born just over 3 hours later.
An hour into Jocelyn's labor. Building strength to get to the tub and hot water.
Heike (midwife), Me, Jocelyn, Carrie (assistant)
Jocelyn was my ray of sunshine in my darkest days. She strongly encouraged me to get out of bed each morning. In fact, she demanded it. And contrary to the photo above, she was a happy baby. She smiled early and often. Intertwined with our family's Circle of Life.

3 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I didn't know you had a baby so soon after. That truly was a blessing. I still marvel at your strength! You are an example to many!I am also amazed you do at hOme births!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you want more kids? Just curious since I am one of the few people who does want more kids! I don't think my other comment saved. Basically I said you are truly an example to many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I think we're not finished with our family and sometimes I think we are. I don't know. We'll see what the future has in store for us.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers