July 13, 2011

Kira, The 7-Eleven Slurpee Baby

I'm still processing the nightmare that was Kira's birth...so for now, no intimate birth story. Just a quick rundown. 

The waiting game: We checked in after a few hours because we didn't want to go home. It seemed dumb to go home since theoretically, from first contraction to birth, I can have a baby in 3.25 hours. Here we are, hanging out at the hospital...not wanting to check in until my contractions got more serious. Tymon's taking a rest and my mom's telling me family history stories...I wanted to hear about the midwives in my family's line.


Definition of Living Hell: 28 Hour Labor. Um yeah. That's all I'll say about that right now.


7-Eleven: A convenience store that sells Slurpees, a frozen slush drink that I love. Many participating locations give away free 7.11 ounce Slurpees on July 11th. That means Kira can get a free Slurpee every year on her birthday. Sweet! Tymon got me one after the birth...except it was after midnight so he had to pay for it. No big deal. I got one a lot bigger than 7.11 ounces.


Kira's echocardiogram: She looks pretty good. Thank you all for your prayers on our behalf. God has been so good to us.We are so thankful that we are out of the hospital and at home. Kira still has a few issues...but they aren't life threatening. Her breathing is normal. But just in case, we have her medical information with us. An ER doctor who was in the medical records room this morning said he is very grateful for parents like us. Just that we knew the terms "small pulmonary branch arteries" and "right-sided aortic arch" were very helpful and telling if there were ever an emergency and we had to take her to the closest hospital. We will follow up with a cardiologist at Children's Hospital in a couple of weeks and have another echo. At that point, we will be able to have a clearer understanding of what we're looking at. For now, we are so so so grateful for our Little Miracle. We are counting our numerous blessings.


Moment of sweet: Jocelyn coming to visit Baby Daya (Kira). All 9 pounds and 4.5 ounces of her. She is 22 inches long. My largest baby by a long shot.


Kira Jade Johns: She's got some fabulous cheeks and auburn hair. We'll do a photo shoot next week with Aunt Katie. And in a few days or week or two or three, there will be some birth posts coming. Probably more than one. There are just so many life lessons to process out of this birth experience. I need to sort it all out.

Thank you all for your well wishes: I'm having a hard time keeping up with them. I'm sure I've missed several on my Facebook wall. I'll try and catch up later. Right now I'm tired. And ready to go to sleep. After I nurse Kira, of course. And put a new load of laundry in. And maybe eat a snack. And drink some water. And take some iron. Ha ha. So much for sleep.

16 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I am glad that she finally arrived and is doing well. I am so sorry about the long labor...NOT FUN AT ALL! I am glad both of you are doing good. She looks so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Bridget! She is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would have been quite a shocker being in labor that long when you are normally so quick. So difficult! I am sorry you had such a hard time of it. Those cheeks, though, might make everything worthwhile!! She is adorable! We are praying for Kira. I so hope the tests come out normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a feeling I might find a blog post here... Lovely pictures! So glad you decided on Jade as a middle name, I was worried you'd name her "Slurpee"... Sleep well, and let Tymon do the laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! So glad to see everyone is well! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh MAN, what a long labor, especially when you're usually so quick! I'm so glad she's here. Can't wait to hear more. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, are you sleeping half on/off the hospital bed?? That doesn't look like it's comfy at all!

    I'm really glad that she is doing well and that you both are home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! So glad she is finally here, but probably not as glad as you are! Can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! So happy for you. 28 hours? You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations and good job!! That is a long time. I am glad things are looking good so far. Redheads have a way of doing thing their way even if you have other plans! :) hope everything continues to go good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!Those chubby cheeks are great!! She's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! She's beautiful. I'm glad you are through that terrible labor!

    So, 11 is my absolute favorite number. And 7 is my second favorite. They're definitely lucky and the free slurpee on top of that! Good things are coming her way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH, wow! I should have been paying more attention to blogs! Welcome, Kira! I'm so grateful for Miracles! She is truly so sweet and precious, and I am excited for her to be so big and healthy(ish)! Okay, I am not sure big is good after you mentioned how long labor was and all, so for your body's sake, I'm sorry - but what a gift really! Thanks for sharing! I guess I need to find you on facebook or something, since I check in there much more frequently than blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are so thankful that you and she are happy and healthy! Congratulations Bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You don't know me but I found your blog through another blog and got lost in the story of your beautiful Evan. I have since read it and loved your inspiring journey. I live in Utah and I am also a stay at home mom of the same faith (LDS). I have been praying for you and your sweet little lady for some time now through your pregnancy and the days awaiting the delivery announcement. SO grateful all went well and your little lady is here with you now. Congratulations I hope everything continues to go smooth and her little heart grows and strengthens daily! Thank you for being such a great example of faith, love, and patience you truly are an amazing lady!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Horray!! So glad she is here and happy;)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers