July 21, 2011

Postpartum Bliss

Kira is one week old. Plus a few days. And I feel great! Not just because I'm not pregnant, which is fantastic in and of itself. But my body seems to have rebounded much faster with Kira's than it did with Jocelyn's...though I was grieving then. But all the same, I feel way better now than I did postpartum with Evan, Elliott, and especially Graeden. I think the first one is the toughest. At least it was for me.

I think my great health right now is a blessing I get because of that awful labor. I can walk around without hurting and cook dinner without sitting on a stool to rest. My pants all fit me and my belly seems to be shrinking daily (goodbye muffin top). I love losing 20 pounds overnight. Talk about a fantastic diet! Ha ha. I've only got 15 more to go. But don't worry. I won't try to take that off for another few months.

When Kira came out breathing on her own we decided that we would go to Tymon's family reunion last weekend. We checked out of the hospital on Wednesday, came home, packed our bags and left Thursday morning for Utah. The trip down wasn't so great. Well, I was fine. Sitting in a car all day is fairly restful. But Kira wasn't latching well and losing weight. I wasn't concerned with that since my milk came in just that morning. But I got concerned after we stopped by her pediatrician and found out that what I thought might be blood in her diaper was actually urine crystals. Those come with dehydration. So, yeah, time to take waking up our sleepy baby seriously and get her to feed. Every stop we made ended up being about an hour long, which turned a 14 hour drive into almost 20.

Salt Lake City, UT -  July 17, 2011
Friday morning, after arriving at Tymon's aunt's house, Kira started eating and we worked on latching. Again. And again. We did a happy dance with every wet diaper. I took her to the pediatrician again when we got home a couple of days ago and Kira had gained an ounce a day. Yes! And she also grew half an inch. Really? My snuggle bunny is growing taller? She's in the 98% for height. And I just want her to be little. And cuddle her. Forever.

Kira - one week old. Photo by Katie Fawcett.

8 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. She is so cute! Those cheeks! She looks like a happy baby. I'm glad she's gaining weight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this has been my best recovery too. Funny how that gets easier every time...pregnancy sure gets worse!

    She is DARLING! What a sweet baby girl.

    You skinny girl! WAY TO GO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is adorable! It is amazing how each one is so different with everything. One of these days when you are here this close to me, you are going to have to come and stay with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is too stinkin' cute! You're brave to tackle that trip with a newborn! Glad everything is working out well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's so beautiful! And I'm so happy that everything is going swimmingly (except for being able to wear your jeans again, I'm going to hate your for a little bit for that).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I canNOT believe you went on a trip so soon. You are nuts (and I say that in the most endearing way!) Love that she is doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so beautiful! I can't believe you guys were in UT and didn't stop by. ;) I am very glad that you were able to get her nursing well and growing and thriving so well.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers