August 6, 2011

Placenta Planting: And The Tale Of The Apple Tree

My husband is horrified that this post is being made. That photos were ever taken. And disturbed that all of you are witnessing it first hand. Sort of. I guess not really. None of you were with me this afternoon. But it'd be cool if you were. Especially Natalie. My Sister-Womyn-Sister. (Dearest Natalie, please forgive me for not waiting for you to come over. I wanted to wait, but also wanted to clear out my refrigerator.)

Some of you may remember a few years ago my exuberance about finally moving into a home with a large yard. Big enough to plant trees. As in more than one. 

I bought several varieties. One for each of my children. Then I took each child's placenta out of my freezer that I'd been saving since their births and planted them with each child's tree. I split Elliott's placenta in half. He shared with Jett. I also split Jocelyn's in half. She shared with her "big sister" Jovana. If this story doesn't sound familiar to you: click this link for the placenta back story. 


Graeden and I planted Kira's tree today. Graeden wasn't disgusted by the placenta at all. But he did comment about how he wouldn't want to live in a bloody sac. Uh, yeah. So now I need to find some non-bloody placental photos to show Graeden how a fetus lives. In a non-bloody sac. One filled with "water".

Our children's trees:

Graeden - cherry (4 varieties grafted together)
Elliott - grapes (one vine purple and one green)
Jett - Italian plum
Evan - pear (4 varieties grafted together)
Jocelyn - apple
Jovana - apple
Kira - apple (4 varieties grafted together)

5 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Email from Natalie:

    Ahhhh! What a scream! I love it. So glad I was there to be able to plant at least one of the placenta trees. And the backstory blog entry was very well-written, too. The mammaries, the memories. Sister-Womyn-Sister. No surprise at all that in OR placenta-tree planting is a relatively common practice. But did I ever tell you about how, when living in San Diego, I had a roommate who was attending the Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, and a classmate of his brought in a Placenta Omelette to SHARE?! She had given birth and, using the very sound logic that "animals do it to recoup nutrients lost in the pregnancy and birthing process," that humans should practice placentophagy, as well, even those who hadn't expelled a child from their womb recently. People are crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha. I don't know if I could actually eat a placenta anything. And seriously, you know the word placentophagy? My spell check sure doesn't. But your expansive vocabulary is one of the reasons why I love you so much. My kids just don't bust out with words like that! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placentophagy

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea, the nutrients from the Placenta are great for the trees. I wish I could have done that a few years ago, but you didn't put that seed in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice =] I wish I was there to help you guys plant it. Speaking of plants, I remembered the name of the tree… RHODODENDRONS… =] (well,I guess I can say "I remembered". =]I needed a little reminder. Thanks Google) =] yeah, yeah, I know I wasn’t supposed to do that… But I became very curious. However, the moment I saw the word I knew that was it. =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome on so many levels. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers