September 19, 2011

Hand of God: Investigation

Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us today? Yes. We thank you for your prayers on our behalf. We have felt them

Tymon and I met with Jen, CPS social worker, and her supervisor, Kristin, today. I wasn't sure how well I should like Kristin. She seemed nice but could have been a wolf in sheep's clothing. However, she also told us that she had three boys and really seemed to understand what we were saying when we were describing the atmosphere in our home.

I believe we were able to effectively resolve the questions they had about Kira and Evan. And Tymon only kicked me once under table so I'd curb my speech.

We expressed our concerns about the first "after-hours" social worker (Adrienne) who came to the door threatening to get a court order to remove Kira from our home if we didn't take her to the hospital that night. Kristin took some notes to forward on to that worker's supervisor. We also expressed the same concerns regarding the deputy that backed up Adrienne in taking Kira away from us as well as the ER doctor who told us if we didn't do the CT scan then CPS would take custody and do the test without our permission. And the third instance of us being threatened with taking away Kira was Jen.

Yeah, that was awkward. Complaining to Jen's supervisor about Jen when Jen was sitting right there was definitely awkward. And something I hope they talk about later.

We also expressed our concerns about Dr. Feldman and his accuracy in reporting. Thanks to my friend Heidi, I had both radiology reports for Kira's bone survey and MRI. Jen and Kristin had never seen them. I definitely let them make a copy of my reports. The first one says that the clavicle fracture could be a birth injury.

We went through Dr. Feldman's report and marked out ten instances where he either twisted words from the police report or straight up got things wrong in his summary of the events leading up to Evan's death. We expressed our concern that Dr. Feldman doesn't work with young infants often enough to know that it's his hospital's standard operating procedure to try non-sedated MRIs on babies under three months old. We also took the opportunity to educate Jen and Kristin on how common clavicle birth injuries are (up to 7% of all newborns), what a callus is and how bones grow back together. Yes, I even drew a diagram on the whiteboard for them.

The only thing we have left to do for the investigation is to submit a few character references from family and friends. And then we wait. They want to close investigations within 45 days of the start date (Aug. 27th) and are not planning on investigating us further. The allegations can be founded, unfounded or inconclusive. A new law (2008) allows records to be destroyed after six years if the allegations were unfounded or inconclusive (provided that no new investigations happen before the records are destroyed). It used to be that once you have a record, you always have a record even if you were falsely accused. I'm happy that Washington State law has changed. It's so wrong to keep records forever when findings were unfounded or inconclusive. Gives me the shivers to think about how much power the government has over our families.

10/7/11 Update
CPS Investigation Result: Unfounded

12 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I'm glad today's meeting went well! I know it's not over, but it looks like things are heading in the right direction now! We'll keep praying and we definitely wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (oops, I was signed in on one of Arriah's many pen-name email accounts, sorry). Mary Johnson = Tamara :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridge, I can't describe how happy I am. I feel so relieved now. =] Peace can finally be brought back to your family. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this is the end of the insanity. It es extremely scary how much power the government has. I hope that this will end soon and you can get on with being the amazing parents you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I'm so impressed by all of the information you have gathered and organized. That is NOT the sign of an abusive mom. I'm sure they took note of that...it sounds like perhaps they are coming to their senses here? I know there are about a million people out there who would love to give you a glowing character reference...hopefully this will be over soon and you won't have to go to court or anything like that. We're still thinking about you over here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...I was very happy to read the update this evening.:) I was speaking to my Doctor friend (retired now)tonight who totally defended you and said the clavicle injury is SO common in babies. He went on to say that Dr's would sometimes have to break the clavicle in order to deliver an infant. He went on to say how quickly this would heal.

    Naturally the concern is Kira's health and her gaining weight. I do hope all is going well there.

    Seems you guys have a lot put on those shoulders of yours, remember that sharing the load also lightens the load.
    Look after yourselves when you can because without you 2 the kids will really be lost.
    Much love from all of us. Wish we were there to help.
    Love
    Karen (Matthew and Marc)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like such good news! I will continue to pray for you and your sweet family, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about the shivers. I am glad things were positive for once. I can't wait to hear about the MRI. I was watching Tymon holding Kira in church today and thought she looked really droopy. Hope that was just a really relaxed baby. I know you know many people are praying for you, but want you to know we are too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read previos posts yet, but it is good to see this. However, I know most of what you wrote, but a lot is new! So sorry! I hope Utah has the same law! I don't want a record!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is frightening to think that such a thing as your being accused could even happen.

    :/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Bridget. Don't know if you remember me. Friends with Erin, Kim and Sarah.

    ANYWAY, i am horrified by your ordeal. Truly. I haven't read to the end of your posts, but I am assuming it ends positive...

    I am mostly writing to say that Isla (my 3 y.o) had a broken clavicle at birth. They didn't notice it until I think the 1 or 2 week check. But they basically said it can snap easily with pushing a baby out. Makes sense to me. I just can't believe you were treated that way. Especially when I know exactly that it can happen at birth and you would have NO idea.

    Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers