September 14, 2011

The Last Thing We Need: Escape Artist

After the email I got from our CPS social worker yesterday, I was horrified to get the following phone call from my dad.

Dad: Hi honey, I just wanted to talk to you before you get a call from someone else.
Me: Huh?
Dad: We were playing at the park behind the church across the street from our house and having a good time. There were some church kids playing out there, too. Then I looked around and couldn't see Jocelyn. I searched for her and she had disappeared.
Me: (groaning - anxiety rising)
Dad: I went out toward the street and a lady had come to search for me. Apparently, Jocelyn decided to cross the street and go back to Nana's. A car slammed on the brakes to keep from hitting her. She called the police. I talked to the officer. He wanted your information. I gave him your name and phone number.
Me: You've got to be kidding me.
Dad: I wish I was. He told me not to worry. He wasn't going to call CPS. Just wanted to talk with me.
Me: Maybe you should have told him, "That's a relief! CPS is already investigating my daughter for neglect. She doesn't need this, too."

I'm thankful that the driver was able to stop and Jocelyn is safe. She could have been seriously hurt or died darting in front of a car. There was a pit in my stomach as I told Tymon. We have enough problems without adding a police encounter. We were thinking that maybe we shouldn't have my dad taking the kids to the park anymore. Then Tymon found a runaway child post on his blog. I'd forgotten about our first escape artist. Apparently, we've had kids disappear on our watch and police encounters, too.

1 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I know the feeling! It is sooo scary and to have someone come after you because they don't think you can take care of your kids. Like my mom says, "You could be a couple feet from where your child is and can't always stop things from happening." I hope the phone call with the police was okay.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers