September 15, 2011

Slow Growth

Today, like nearly every other day this week, has been full of new discoveries. I spent 2.5 hours at the pediatrician's office today for Graeden, Jocelyn and Kira's well-child check ups. It's a good thing I like their doctor.

Graeden was ecstatic about not getting any shots. It was fun to listen to him read the info sheet on all of the ones that Kira got. He expressed his gratitude that Kira didn't have all those diseases. Jocelyn was asked how high she could count. She began, "one, two, three," and was prompted with "what comes after three?" so she continued, "four, five, six, seven." "What comes after seven?" "Two." "Two? Two doesn't come after seven!" "No, I only two!" Ha ha ha. You're right Jocelyn. You're only two and counting to seven is certainly high enough.

My main concern is that Kira has not gained very much weight since birth. She looks healthy, but she's only 4 ounces above her birth weight. And she's 9 weeks old. She lost almost a pound in the first week of life...but that means she's only gained about a pound in 2 months. She nurses fine...though she likes to suck in air and we take special care to make sure she burps. She has plenty of wet and yellow dirty diapers, so I know she's getting nourishment. She is also a bit floppy. Her head control is better than it used to be...but not where it should be. And her hips are hyper mobile.

I'm wondering if her slow growth has affected the healing of her clavicle. I read Kira's delivery note in my birth records yesterday. I pushed out her head and then her "shoulders delivered with a short delay, patient [yours truly] unable to push, with posterior shoulder delivering first. Inspection of perineum revealed first degree mucous tear..." The scenario I've got playing in my mind now is that it's possible that Kira broke her clavicle at birth and the slow growth may affect her healing, which would also affect dating the injury.

Our pediatrician gave me a referral to consult with a geneticist. They're the scientists who put together all of the clues we have and come up with a fancy genetic disorder that will explain everything (ideally). But would this be a good thing? Sure, it may clear our names. But it would also mean that Kira may have a host of other medical problems plaguing her for the rest of her life.

We got Kira's skeletal survey images in the mail today.
Here she is screaming at the tech doing the x-rays. Kinda looks like Homer Simpson.

This is the one where she's trying to give a one finger salute but the plastic immobilization board trapped her hand before she finished.
And here is the infamous broken clavicle. Notice the white circular haze surrounding the break. It's called a callus, which may take up to a year to go away.

5 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I've been reading Tymons blog and facebook page, and I wondered if it was possible the break was from birth when I heard how young she was. I hope that you get the answers you need and hope that no other health issues come up- maybe she'll just be a petite little thing. My son (4 in october) broke his clavical in july, I only know how because he was in the same room as me. But I realize as kids play, and rough a lot of the time, that he could have been in his room or the play room and had the same result. I'm sorry you have to deal with this and hope you guys are left alone soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me, but I've been reading your blog for a little while. I also wondered if it was possible that her clavicle was broken during delivery. That can happen. I thought about mentioning it earlier but didn't...now I'm kind of wishing I had. I'm sorry for all you guys are going through right now and I'm sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anything good can come of the situation with CPS, maybe it's that you are able to find out early some possible genetic disorders that can be treated or prevented due to early detection. I hope everything can be resolved favourably asap. Love you lots! We're praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always here if you need! Tymon has a blog too? I don't know why I never see anything from you on Facebook!!! Sorry- I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers