October 2, 2011

Project Runway Conference Style

I bought a skirt a few days ago that I really liked and would have liked it more if it were a touch longer. Usually, I don't buy things that I have to alter. But it was on sale and just this once, I decided to do it anyway. Mainly it was because if I spent $50 in one transaction then I could get $10 off my next purchase. Since I didn't have $50 in purchases without the skirt, I had to buy it. I wanted to make sure I actually did alter it, so yesterday, I went to the fabric store and found some ribbon that I could sew along the hemline. So far so good. I have a plan and everything I need to finish it.

This weekend was to the worldwide conference for my church. A few years ago, going to the church to watch conference with all of my children would have been fairly stressful. Imagine my kids running around like crazies and me either trying to calm them or just sitting there trying to pretend that they don't belong to me. These days, I'm loving the technology that allows me to stream each session via the internet at home. What a blessing!

It's not all effective listening at home, though. Sometimes, I get my blanket and lay down on the couch. Occasionally my eyes close so I can really internalize the message. I tell myself I'm still listening. It's just so warm and cozy on the couch that sometimes my mind starts to wander. Once or twice I've even been known to start dreaming. It's really the most peaceful drifting off into sleep that I've ever experienced.

I've found that for me, the most effective way to hear each speaker is if I'm actively engaged in doing something. Yesterday it was organizing my room. Today it was making pancakes in the morning. And this afternoon, the Project Runway in me crawled out and wanted to express itself. And really, if I don't alter the skirt now, I probably never will.

It took me way too long to do this. I'm sad to admit that the tension on my sewing machine was whacked out and so my whole skirt was being gathered when I sewed the ribbon to it. My parents stopped by for a few minutes this afternoon, though and my mom un-bunched it. I'm grateful for my mom's help. She's quite the seamstress. I'm not so much. But I have been watching Project Runway this season and so in my mind my skills are greater than they really are. Ha ha. Here is my finished project:

Now what would be really cool is if I could tell you what any of the speakers said today...I can't. But I do remember one from last week in the women's session of conference. I was having a very hard time listening to the speakers. My mind was everywhere besides in the present. Then Elder Dieter Uchtdorf spoke about the forget-me-not flowers and it was like a fog was clearing from my mind. If you didn't get a chance to hear him, do it now. You won't regret it.

4 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I admit I also have a bit of a problem with the General Conference nap. Pjs, blanket and spiritual messages have a tendancy to put me to sleep, if the kids are being halfway quiet (which isn't that often anymore with 4 kids). It's kind of a joke with us- Ryan and I joke about trying to feel uplifted by watching their mouths move. Or even better- yelling at the kids to be quiet and go away so we can be watch how to be more Christ-like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I like your skirt. I don't sew well either, but no family members live close to help with my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Danae!
    I, too, am guilty of yelling at kids so I can hear a spiritual message. Actually, I yelled at the kids after coming home from some church something not too long ago and Tymon told me that if that's the way I was going to behave then I wasn't allowed to go to church anymore. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That skirt still looks so short! Way to go in it though. I too love Project Runway, but I have no skills whatsoever! Maybe it is just the picture. By the way I know I owe you an e-mail..sorry I have been slacking!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers