November 8, 2011

Artisan Bread

It's decision time. Will I continue to make a mockery of the staple food of life? Or shall I master the art of baking bread? Last week, I did Bread-Making, part one with a group of church ladies. I loved it. I've made it a few times this week and not in my bread maker, either. I know you've gotten some good laughs with Bunny Bread and his friends. But this class is helping fill in some gaps of understanding and moving me to the next level. I bought the book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and love it. I'm already learning some of the scientific stuff around bread making. It's what I've been needing for a long time. 


Tonight was Bread Making, part two. We learned about sour doughs and this time our teacher was fairly technical in his descriptions and instructions. We got to sample a few different kinds of bread and I'm in heaven. I think if I made bread even remotely similar to what I experienced tonight that my kids would think store bought anything tasted like garbage. Look at these baguettes. We made some tonight that looked almost just like them. I'm leaning toward putting in the effort to learn the bread making skill. For both me and my kids.  

5 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Is this a Relief Society event? Does your instructor travel? Can we keep him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, does your instructor travel? :)
    I've looked at that book on Amazon but didn't buy it. Your pictures are inspiring me to make bread again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever heard of Pantry Secrets? http://www.pantrysecrets.net/
    It's another easy and quick bread recipe that is universal for rolls, pizza crust, cinnamon rolls & twists and much more. I never buy store bread, rolls or buns anymore! It's so nice to be able to make it yourself, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why have I not been invited? I've heard of this book and wanted to try it for a while. I think you've given me the push I needed.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers