November 24, 2011

Cream Pies: You Must Whip It

Tina in Slovenia believes having a 20 pound turkey is like "Science Fiction". I've never thought of it like that. It seems so normal to me. I thought that's how all turkeys are. But maybe it's just in America. We have a tendency to take something of a perfectly normal proportion and then super-size it.


Like our family for example. Every year there seem to be more of us. Here are some of the Johns' cousins. I didn't realize that Jocelyn wasn't in this photo until just now when I was preparing this blog post. She was busy, I guess. It takes a lot of effort to eat all the candy in the house and terrorize the other kids. Ha ha. Large families are fun.


Last night I made a couple pies with my cousins. Chocolate peanut butter and blueberry cream. They were fantastic. In fact, I think I'll get a slice now while I finish working on this post. A few of you have asked for my recipe. It's not mine. But I'll share it anyway. Thank you Cousin Cathy for your excellent tutelage. I appreciate it lots.

Cream Pie Recipe
1. Pour 2 cups of heavy cream into a mixing bowl. 

2. When it's stiff with great ridges, 
add 10 ounces of cream cheese.
Now you must whip it.
Into shape.
Shape it up.

3. Add one cup of powdered sugar.
It's not too late.
To whip it.
Whip it good.

4. Pour filling into a pre-baked pie shell.

5. Spread a quarter cup of your favorite jam on top.
But don't whip it.

For the chocolate peanut butter variation, insert a cup of peanut butter after step three. 
Be sure to whip it. 
Whip it up.
Whip it smooth.

Continue with step four. Replace step five with chocolate. Microwave a half cup of chocolate chips with a tablespoon of heavy cream for maybe 15 or 20 seconds. Stir until smooth. Make it a nice and smooth and spread it on top. And remember. Do not whip it. You're done whipping.



I love finding photos of events I didn't witness. I had no idea Tymon was facilitating the whipped cream funny business.

Breanna (next to Graeden above) captured a very cute Kira moment. I love the composition and framing of the shot.

In other news, what I'm most thankful for this Thanksgiving day (besides my fantastic family, faith and freedom) is MY MISSING WALLET! Jett found it this morning. And just as I had suspected, it was in Jocelyn's room. Under her bed. Hmmmmm. That's interesting. She told me she didn't know where it was. I even offered her some candy if she found it. I hadn't looked in her room due to her negative response. Good thing Jett did while we were preparing this morning for guests to come.

4 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Just let me go to the store on Monday, to get "our" version of the turkey... You must have forgotten some things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Good for your wallet. I hope Jocelyn left the credit cards and money in it... Vesna wouldn't. But then again, there would be a (paper) trail and therefore easier to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pretty good-sized group you had for Thanksgiving. I should have got a group shot of all 14 of us at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally want to see your turkey Tina! Jocelyn left all my stuff in the wallet. I'm grateful for that. She isn't always so great.

    Danae, Tymon's brother was in town from Calgary, so we got a photo of his siblings and nieces/nephews. We actually had several others who aren't in the photo...my parents, brother and his family and a few others...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers