February 1, 2012

A Month Of Letters

Did I ever tell you that I used to write letters? Real ones. By hand. With actual postage attached. In the summer, I'd watch for the mailman every day. And get antsy if he was running behind.

It started when I was ten. My aunt hooked me up with the daughter of one of her friends in France. We became pen pals. She thought my mundane life was exciting. And I liked learning from her what life was like in another country. Growing up in a different religion than me. I had other pen pals, too.

Letter writing brings back happy memories of lazy summer days. The sun shining and me running to the mailbox as soon as the mailman came. The pure delight at finding a letter with my name on it. My eyes instantly lighting up and my fingers working to rip it open as quickly as possible. I devoured every word before getting back inside. I moved to my bedroom, laid down and reread the details I missed in my initial excitement.

Over the years, I amassed quite a collection of letters. I'm not sure what to do with them. They have been sitting in my closet for years. Decades. I move them from house to house. I've thought about tossing them out. But I can't.
Most of my letters are from friends.  But some of them are mine. Gifted to me by my parents. They are the letters I wrote to them while having adventures around the world. That's my history in those boxes.

I came across a challenge today. Write one letter per day for the month of February. This challenge was made for me. I'm taking it. Per chance I can make someone else's day a little brighter. But mostly, I want to relive my sunny days of youth in and reconnect with my former self.

To tell you the truth, it was really hard to start writing a letter this evening. I didn't know how to start. I didn't know what to say. I'm rusty. Plus, it's just WEIRD to write letters nowadays. What's the purpose? Just because? I'm writing just for giggles and not because I want something? I felt like I had to explain myself. BUT I DIDN'T. I just pretended that this letter wasn't out of the ordinary at all.

I know you're dying to know what I wrote about. Well, I'll tell you. Bread. Surprise, surprise! Ha ha ha.

I know this may sound obvious, but here goes anyway. If you want to make bread for sandwiches, you should make it in a sandwhich loaf pan. Duh! When my Pullman loaf pan came today, I immediately cleaned it and put my dough inside to rise. I've never used one before and putting a lid on it seemed strange to me. But it turned out well and the sandwiches we had for lunch were fantastic. This particular brand has a silicone non-stick lining fused into the pan so there's no nead to grease the pan first. After baking, the bread came right out. I love that. This bread above is 100% fresh ground whole wheat and rye. I'm really liking rye these days. It's not like the strong tasting bread they sell in the stores. I don't put caraway seeds in mine. Rye has a nice mild flavor and makes a hearty loaf.

6 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. For when you run out of addresses...

    http://www.postcrossing.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's nice. Who are you writing the letters to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I going to be a lucky recipient of a letter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could make your letters into a book - scan them and make a photo book! I love getting mail and my Grandma was my pen pal when I was little!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 15 letters in 17 days. Not bad. Not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just got a call from Costco about the letter I sent a week ago...yes!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers