March 26, 2012

Dirty Laundry

I'm okay with laundry. 
Peed in sheets.
Skid marked undies.
No problem.
As long as I don't have to fold it.


But my good graces expire
when every day a certain little boy
comes home with mud on his pants.


The story sounds similar each time.
He slid down the hill next to the bus stop,
Fell down on the playground,
Or jumped off the swing and landed on his bum.
Then he comes home with muddy pants,
Flakes of dried dirt congregate in little piles
next to his shoes in the entryway,
And he sits on the couch,
Plays on the carpet,
Oblivious to the mess he's spreading.
This will not do.
Not do at all.


My sweet 5 year old is now doing laundry.
He's scrubbing dirt off of pants,
Separating undies from peed in pants,
Sorting colors,
Measuring soap,
And pushing buttons.
He doesn't really like doing laundry.
Me neither.


This past week a friend came over to play.
The sand box called to them.
They couldn't resist.
It had rained and the sand was wet.
Dirty bums galore.
But not Jett.
"Mom! I didn't sit down in the sand!"
And a few days later:
"Mom! I was on the monkey bars,
I fell down
and landed on my hands and feet!"
Sweet.
He's learning.

4 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I love that you have Jett doing laundry....I'm glad I'm not the only mommy who's doing such things to their children, however, Lilly's not even 4, and can already do it, and does it much better than her father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the way a kid learns....nice mothering skills! I should try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest, JC, Bridget's brother, decided he didn't like the lunch Pat made for him. From then on he packed his own, even when he didn't want to. Bridget told me recently what a dirty trick it was that she and her siblings had to also pack their own lunches.

    There are hundreds of ways, I'm sure, that moms can make their own lives easier while making their children more independent. Then they can blog about it and brag up their "tricks" to their overworked friends.

    I learned recently in Bridget's blog how she looked forward to occasional letters from her Paris pen pal. I didn't know until then that she was my bring-in-the-mail girl for that reason. She kept that job until she got married. Probably still does unless she can arrange for a pen pal for Graeden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oldest, JC, Bridget's brother, decided he didn't like the lunch Pat made for him. From then on he packed his own, even when he didn't want to. Bridget told me recently what a dirty trick it was that she and her siblings had to also pack their own lunches.

    There are hundreds of ways, I'm sure, that moms can make their own lives easier while making their children more independent. Then they can blog about it and brag up their "tricks" to their overworked friends.

    I learned recently in Bridget's blog how she looked forward to occasional letters from her Paris pen pal. I didn't know until then that she was my bring-in-the-mail girl for that reason. She kept that job until she got married. Probably still does unless she can arrange for a pen pal for Graeden.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers