March 21, 2012

Spelt Bread Recipe

The first time I tried to make spelt bread (last month) was a disaster. Well, not really a disaster. I know you remember my  Bunny and crumble breads. But I couldn't get the dough right, it wasn't totally cooked before I had to leave the house, I cooked it on residual heat for a few hours and it ended up being super heavy. Which is fine if you're making bricks. I needed it for sandwiches, though. Spelt and wheat both have gluten, which I took to mean that they behaved the same. They don't. So that just means I have to be smarter than my grain. Or smart enough to handle it's sass.

The spelt bread I made this afternoon was so delightful we had sandwiches for dinner.


Spelt Bread Recipe:
Don't be a hater about the measuring by weight. It's actually easier to measure and get consistent results that way rather than in cups - with packed vs. unpacked flours, etc. It's also nicer to put honey directly into the dough bowl instead of into a cup and then pouring that into the bowl. Go to Amazon and pick up a kitchen scale. I got this one to weigh Kira when we were tracking her weight closely as a newborn. I love it and it's got a tare feature which is a must.

Combine 750 g water and 1200 - 1300 g spelt four (I used freshly ground spelt) until it looks shaggy. So in the stand mixer, I set it to stir and it went for about a minute or less. Let the mixture sit for 20-60 minutes.

Do some dishes. Clean the counter. Put a load of laundry in.

Come back and sprinkle 25 g yeast to the top.

Then add 100 g honey, 100 g molasses and 2 eggs. Start the mixer up again and add 45 g of Kosher salt and 250 g multi-grain flour (mine is made of equal parts of rye, rice, spelt, wheat, quinoa, pinto bean, millet and barley). You'll probably mix it for about 3 minutes. You may want to add more flour. But realize this will be a sticky dough...don't think smooth as a baby's bottom. That's a good way to make brick bread.

Transfer the dough into a container to rise. It will double or triple in size over the next hour and a half. When this happens, divide it evenly into your pans.

Pat down the dough carefully (it's sticky) so that the globs of dough are semi-even in the pan. It will rise again so you don't have to be too concerned with shape. If you do it wrong, it doesn't matter. Send me a photo of your lop-sided bread.

This recipe yields enough dough for two 13"x4"x4" pullman loaf pans. If you don't want to bake this much bread at once or your pans are smaller, you can save unused dough in the fridge for a few days until it's time to bake again.

After 30 minutes of the second rise, start preheating your oven to 350* F. It'll take 15-20 minutes to reach the proper temp. Then bake the bread (dough should have almost doubled) for 40 minutes. It will rise a bit more. Thanks to my sister, I now know that if I stick a thermometer in the middle of the loaf, it should read 200* F when it's done. If you're like I used to be then you can test it by just tapping on it to see if it sounds "hollow"...whatever that means.

My dinner sandwich: Spelt bread, aioli mustard, tomato, avocado and basil.



3 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Yum! One of these days I need to start making bread again! I'm glad you had success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photo of the sandwich looks very professional. I love how you garnished it too. That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers