April 8, 2012

He Is Risen

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matthew 6:21)


Yesterday, the treasure our family and friends were interested in happened to be candy and prizes...and in each other's company. We did an Easter egg hunt in the woods behind our house. The sun was shining and the woods were dry. Leaves crackled under our feet. It was so much fun to be out there poking around in stumps and behind rocks looking for eggs. My favorite mental image is of Jocelyn picking up a stick so she could poke at an egg balanced on a tree limb. She knocked it down and then excitedly put it in her bag. 


I've been wondering about why we do egg hunts at Easter time. Sure they symbolize re-birth and each new life is a treasure. But how does Christ and the Resurrection fit in? Wikipedia shares some interesting tidbits...like Easter eggs were dyed red to symbolize the death of Christ. I wonder if we hide eggs to symbolize that we, too, must find Christ...sometimes the search is easy. Sometimes it's a little more difficult to grasp gospel truths.


The resurrection is one truth I cling to. It's the real treasure. Some are excited to have a perfected body at the resurrection. I don't really care about that. I'm more looking forward to hugging my little boy. It's been a long time. I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to live beyond the grave. God is good.


If you haven't seen it yet, watch this Easter video, "He Is Risen".



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers