May 19, 2012

Not Really My Father's Diet: Gluten-Free Pancakes

In honor of Tamara, my sister-in-law, we had a gluten-free pancake morning. She's looking for gluten-free recipes and since I don't really cook gf on purpose, I decided to give it a whirl and figure out what my family likes...I'm also trying to do some wheat-free cooking for Graeden (I'm hoping it'll solve some of the behavior challenges we've been having with him) so this was a good opportunity to experiment.

My family loved doing a taste test. I didn't tell them any of the ingredients, only that each plate had a different type of pancake on it. They couldn't tell the difference between my homemade gf flour and plain rice flour...until I pointed out some subtle differences in the texture. I loved the corn flour version....but that one was Tymon's least favorite. My boys gobbled up the buckwheat flour ones and voted it best of show. Which surprised me since it's definitely on the bottom of my list.

Just to mix things up a bit, I offered anyone a dollar if they could tell me what kind of flour I used in each of the four varieties. I nearly had mutiny on my hands. They wanted to have choices and make it multiple-guess instead of fill in the blank. Ha ha. My dollar. My rules. Graeden and Tymon each got the corn flour pancakes right. Not bad. I'm going to do this again with some of my other grains.


What's really interesting to me is how differently each grain behaves. The gf flour is super thin...those pancakes were crepe-like. The rice flour was a little thicker and definitely had a fluffier crumb...though it wasn't as smooth. The corn flour gobbled up the liquids at 3 times the amount the white flour recipe called for. When cooking, it also had a ton of bubbles go through it and cook that way. The pancakes in the top corner of the photo are made from corn. Buckwheat also likes liquids...but not as much as corn. I used about 3/4 cup milk instead of 1/2 cup like the recipe calls for.

Next time, I'm going to try some barley, quinoa and rye. Oooh and in a muffin recipe, too.

GF Flour Recipe:
2 cups brown rice flour (250g)
2/3 cup sweet potato flour (100g)
1/3 cup tapioca flour (35g)
Store in an air-tight container.

Pancake Recipe:
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup flour (increase liquids depending on type of flour used)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Posted by Picasa

1 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Now that I know the menu next time, invite me, so I can cash in on some extra dollars.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers