August 27, 2012

iFly Seattle - Indoor Skydiving

Tymon's father treated us to an experience of a lifetime this weekend. We went to an indoor skydiving wind tunnel called iFLY. 
Our Little Daredevil Jocelyn
There's pretty much nothing cuter than a 3-year-old daredevil flying around in a pink jumpsuit. Jocelyn's excitement and smile in the air and absolute trust in her instructor etches a deeper love for her in my heart. Makes me just want to hug her and tell the world she's mine. She's so independent. So unafraid to take the world by storm.

Mathilde and Elliott
My first impression of our instructor Matt was that he's a little hyper. I enjoyed his enthusiasm with our kids and was okay with him ignoring us adults and focusing his attention on them. There are only three rules to keep in mind when skydiving. First, smile. That'll keep you relaxed. Second, keep your chin up. And third, stay still.  
Our family with Grandpa Stan, Mathilde and Instructor Matt 
It's good for me to be put in a situation to learn a new physical skill every now and again. It gives me empathy for my driver's ed students who can't seem to slow down and turn at the same time. I only had to remember a few rules for the wind tunnel and I could consistently get a couple of them...but not all of them. As soon as I entered the tunnel, any memory of our introduction class disappeared. Whoops. I did remember to smile pretty for the camera...which caused  bits of saliva to escape my mouth and spread out across my face.

Grandpa Stan has been skydiving for a while. He and Tymon's mother used to do it. Then they had kids and stopped. After he and Tymon's mother divorced, he picked it back up again and took Tymon with him. Several years ago, when we were visiting Tymon's family in Calgary, his father took me skydiving. I went tandem with an instructor. The force on my face was incredible. I watched my flight video and decided then and there that I never wanted to see that one again....my face was totally contorted in strange ways. Weird ways. Alien ways. Yeah. Enough said. We didn't buy it.

But this video came with our package...and the faces are much more normal than skydiving faces. Here's a snapshot of our session. Matt does a demo at the end (3:18). His body control is truly amazing. Makes me want to build a wind tunnel in our house...then I could practice every day. 

7 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. SO COOL =] I am glad you guys are having such a great time. =] Love you all =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that was excellent flying and editing!! Way to go and we hope to see all of you back again soon. It was great having you here at IFLY!!

    Bill Adams
    CEO
    iFLY Seattle Indoor Skydiving

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your teeny body was being folded in half by the wind. WOW what a cool adventure for your fam. I've always wondered how those places are. Your FIL is the bomb for doing that for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! That is SO amazing! Matt could do crazy things! I'd love to do that one day.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers