November 4, 2012

The Natural Life: No Shampoo + Homemade Deodorant

I've done it. No shampoo the entire month of October. My hair is clean thanks to baking soda in the shower. And tangle-free thanks to cutting most of my hair off...oh and rinsing with a touch of vinegar.

35 days with no shampoo...I washed this head of hair yesterday.
I feel a sense of freedom with this change. I don't have to support the shampoo industry any longer. Don't get me wrong. I like the smell of shampoo and working up a good lather. Both of which are not available when simply using baking soda and water. But I don't like the unnecessary chemicals pretty much every brand puts in their products. Who knows, maybe I'll make my own pure shampoo. That lathers. With my essential oils.

Oils? Yes. Oils. I've been into essential oils since this past spring. And I like them. A lot. Not just for personal care products, but for health, too. I put wild orange, cinnamon, eucalyptus, clove and rosemary in my family's morning smoothie. It's good for fighting off colds and sore throats and whatever else is going around. I put a combo of wintergreen, camphor, peppermint, blue tansy, blue chamomile, helichrysum and osmanthus on Mathilde's sprained ankle 3 weeks ago along with an ice pack and within a couple of hours the swelling and inflammation had gone down enough that she could walk instead of crawl to the bathroom.

I added 10-15 drops of frankincense essential oil to my homemade deodorant (click for recipe). Homemade deodorant? Yes. I know. Slowly but surely, each year my life becomes more natural.

My results after three months of using homemade deodorant? They're good. The first few weeks I couldn't tell if I was less or more stinky. While not really negative, it wasn't really positive, either. BUT in Abu Dhabi, I sweated a bit more than I usually do in Seattle. And the deodorant worked well. Phew! And here I am six weeks later still using and loving it.

What do I love most? Well, it's effective and I can touch it without getting my hand gross. The ingredients are much the same as a lotion with the addition of baking soda and corn starch so it's not a problem if it gets on your hand or clothes or whatever. I also rub a little on a little bump about the size of a pea I have near my shoulder. The bump appeared a few years ago. I was concerned about it but the doctor said not to. Okay. But it wasn't going away...until now. It's smaller. The only change is my deodorant. With frankincense. Beautiful frankincense.
Frankincense oil is linked to the psyche, which in Greek also means "breathing". It deepens and revitalizes the breath and adds to these effects its excellent immunostimulant properties. In skin care, frankincense oil reveals its balsamic nature through its miraculous wound healing properties. Astringent and anti-inflammatory, it is traditionally used to treat scar tissue and skin ulcers, and nourishes dry and prematurely aging skin. Its anti-depressant, euphoric qualities are used in psycho-aromatherapy to treat anxiety & nervous tension.
I have no idea what brought on my bump and why it's stayed for so long. I just really like that it's now a quarter of the size it used to be. I had one on my ankle, too. The color of the bump is still there but the bump under it is gone.

Unless you've been to my house and I've combined some oil concoction for whatever ill you're suffering, you haven't heard me touting the benefits of essential oils. I wasn't sure if I liked them. Or if I liked the idea of them and natural healing. I can now be safely put in the camp of Essential Oil Junkies. 

5 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. Do you think your kids have stayed away from the colds? We are all sick and i have heard such great things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really... we need to make some homemade soap together... soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking you were going to say that..."no shampoo". I remember Sister Collins only shampoo her hair once a week. Her hair was so beautiful and long.I think she also used something natural when she shampoo like..you should ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using soda for deodorant and for toothpaste for several years now. No one has told me that I stink, and I can't smell myself. I think it is unlikely I'll get Altheimers from the high aluminum content of most deodorants.

    I never thought about baking soda as shampoo. My other two uses only require the powder. I imagine I can rub a handful of soda into my wet hair, but it won't be slppery. Let me know what I might mix with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camey, my kids have had occasional runny noses this fall, but none have been sick...although Kira threw up the other day. I'm not sure why, though. I make breakfast smoothies every morning for my kids. They have fruits, spinach or kale, cinnamon, sometimes ginger, garlic or onion in them (but a fruity taste prevails). All of those things help. I also add essential oils to the mix to give them an additional boost. They don't eat refined flours or fruit snacks or other common not-so-healthy stuff (except Halloween candy - two pieces a day). All of these things add up to why they are able to fight the bugs that are going around. Essential oils definitely help, but other factors also play important roles.

    Sara. Yes, let's.
    Jeri. I should. I know she reads this occasionally. Maybe she will chime in?
    Dad. I've rubbed it in my hair. Doesn't feel that great. I like better to mix a tablespoon with a cup of water in the shower. Then I pour it over my head with one hand and work it in with the other. Sometimes, I also put my head down and pour half the cup on the underside, too. That gets more of the scalp.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers