January 27, 2013

Orange Avocado Sorbet

First off, I've got a great update on Gimpy. S/he is still alive. And I seriously wondered if that would be the case after we returned from the Great Wolf Lodge Saturday evening. We were only gone a day and a half, and fed them lots before leaving, but still. I'm just unsure why Spyra has eaten parts of him/her. Gimpy has no left arm and only one finger on the right hand and is missing one toe.

I like to watch Gimpy get around. S/he bounces around like a bunny and the one arm stabilizes her every now and again. And what really bugs me as I write is that I don't know his sex. Let me be honest with you. I've yet to touch any of them. But I find them all fascinating none the less.



A high school friend (well elementary and junior high, too) posted a Vitamix recipe on Facebook this evening for orange avocado sorbet. It looked interesting. Mostly the avocado part. Elliott was with me asking for ice cream (Tymon bought some last week) and so I told him I would make some sorbet. It was exactly what he didn't want to hear. Then the whining increased when I told him I was putting avocado in it. 


Turns out he tasted it. Loved it. And asked for seconds. Then thirds. And begged for some of mine. It wasn't just him, either. They all wanted more. I especially loved Kira's "cheese" smile for the camera. So cute. Ha ha ha.
 
Orange Avocado Sorbet:
  • 2 oranges, peeled and halved
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
  • 1/2 avocado, pitted and peeled
  • 1/2 lemon, peeled and seeded
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2"x2" strip of orange peel (5cm x 5 cm)
  • 5 cups ice cubes (1.2 liters)

Blend it all up well and then start adding the ice until the sorbet forms. Then eat it as soon as you can. It's truly fantastic!
Posted by Picasa

3 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I will have to try this. Would a regular blender work? You need to move to Utah so I can be friends with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and thanks for the update on gimpy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Camey, you should be able to use a regular blender. Just make sure it blends long enough so it's fairly smooth (with the orange peel in there) before adding the ice.

    We're getting to the stage where we need to know the sex of our gerbils. Unfortunately, when Tymon "checked" them, he thought they were all males...even Spyra. So that didn't work out so well. I guess we only need to wait a month to find out if Spyra is giving birth again and if any of her kids are - then we'll really know for sure. Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers