February 25, 2013

Mmmmm....Rutabaga Beet Cake

Sometimes I buy food
And don't eat it.
It sits in the fridge for a week or two
Looking at me
Hoping to get chosen.
Sometimes it waits a long time.

I don't know why I bought the rutabagas.
But I did.
I roasted them the day I got them.
For some imaginary soup
I never made.

At a certain point in time
A choice must be made.
Either you eat that certain something in the fridge
Or you ignore it.
Eating it is probably fine
Except now it's been stigmatized.
And who wants to live with that?
Ignoring means that it'll get tossed out next week
When a nice layer of fuzz has grown.

It was under these circumstances
That I discovered I didn't have enough carrots
To make my carrot cake.

Not enough carrots?
No problem.
I decided to make it anyway.
I used the 3 rutabagas
And one beet
That have been pleading with me
To eat them for the past few days.

The verdict? Wow. They loved it. Couldn't eat it fast enough. The boys and a friend had a piece after doing their chores this afternoon. Had another piece for dessert. And one more after basketball practice. Yeah, the entire cake's almost gone. Unbelievable.

Now just for the record, to me the rutabaga taste is a little too strong (though NO one else thought that - especially since I didn't tell them). But that could be due to the fact that I know that it's in it. Using two instead of three would be better - still pack a vitamin punch without so much vitamin flavor. The batter was magenta from the beet. And so was the top of the baked cake. However, the inside was definitely not pink. So weird. For all of my Facebook friends who have asked for the recipe, here goes...



Carrot Rutabaga Beet Cake
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. sugar
1.5 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg 
1/4 t. ground cloves
2 t. cinnamon
1.25 c. coconut oil
3 c. grated carrots (or cooked/peeled rutabagas or beets or other random vegetables you may have in your fridge)
4 large eggs
1.5 t. vanilla
1/2 lemon (about 2 inches of peel/zest, too)

I put the wet ingredients into my blender and whipped it up super smooth. Then added it to a bowl with the dry ingredients in it. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes. My convection oven took 45 minutes at 325.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 c. butter - softened
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 t. vanilla
2 c. confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
1 Tbsp. milk or cream

Cream the butter and cream cheese, then add vanilla and milk/cream. Next slowly incorporate the powdered sugar. Spread over the cooled cake.

Bon appetit!
Posted by Picasa

1 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I had to check first what rutabaga is or looks like - frankly, it's amazing you can make a cake out of it, and a delicious one too:-) Res super ideja!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers