March 24, 2013

It's Great To Be Eight!

My dear sweet Elliott was baptized tonight.

 
He asked me to do one of the talks for the service.
I agreed.
Albeit, reluctantly.
I've had a lot on my plate this week.
But Tymon guilted me into saying yes.
With, "How often will he be baptized?"
And, "He wants you to do it."

After the opening song and prayer,
The bishop announced that I'd be talking about Baptism,
I look at him like he's made a mistake,
"No that's Lindsay."
(She's Elliott's Sunday School teacher.)

I looked at her to back me up.
But she wasn't jumping up.
I mean really, she was doing the one on Baptism.
I was doing the one on the Holy Spirit.

Right?

Nope.
She prepared for the Holy Spirit.
And the program had her name in that slot.
Yikes!

I stood up.
A bit flustered.
Because really?
I prepared for the wrong one?


My deodorant wore off fast.
Was anyone else hot?



Kira clung to me.
My Dad tried to take her.
She wouldn't leave me.

That's okay.
I was buying time.
Trying to think.
Drawing blank.


I looked around the room
Ready to to call on someone else to save me.
I didn't want to do it in the first place.
My face grew hot.
This can't be happening.
Except it is.
But it shouldn't have.

After all,
I.typed.the.program.
But obviously didn't read it.

Our fantastic bishop gave me a scripture
To start me out.
John 3:5
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirithe cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
And I spoke.
It wasn't horrible.
But it wasn't great, either.
And not nearly as fantastic as what I'd prepared.

Tymon baptized Elliott.
My brothers and two nieces sang.
The girls sounded like angels
Straight from heaven.

Lindsay spoke of gifts
And the gift of the Holy Ghost.
She asked Elliott what the best present he ever got was.
He hemmed and hawed.
She revised the question,
"How about just a great present but maybe not the best one?"
I thought he'd say Toby.
Elliott's been wanting a dog for years.

After a few more pauses, he answered.
That the best gift he's ever been given
Is his life.

Lindsay wasn't expecting that.
And I just wanted to hug
My little boy
Who sees so much
For one so young.

After my embarrassing moment,
I felt the peace of the evening.
Heavenly Father is pleased
With Elliott's choice to follow Him.
And so am I.
I'm blessed to have him for my son.
 
In case you're wondering
What I'm going to do with my awesome talk
On the Holy Spirit,
I've decided to teach it as
Our Family Night lesson tomorrow.

Posted by Picasa

3 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. If the (ex)Fawcett family keeps growing like that, you'll soon need a wider lens... ;-)

    Congratulations, Elliott!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that is one of my worst fears- getting to talk about something I didn't prepare for.

    Congratulations on Elliot's baptism!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have known you were flustered, not one bit. It was a beautiful baptism. I loved hearing your brothers and nieces singing. Congratulations, Elliott!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers