April 18, 2013

Become Callous in 100 Days or Less

Remember that one time when Tymon went to the pet store to get Graeden and the kids a Christmas present? He brought home one gerbil. Then she surprised us when she had babies a week later. Seven of them. Four died. We held a funeral and burial. It was sad.

Then about 6 weeks later we had some friskiness in the cage...and some weeks afterward, seven more babies appeared...sweet. 

The runt died yesterday. No funeral. No fan fare. Graeden found him while scooping out excess sawdust. He told me...and I'm thinking, phew! One less to think about. That's it. All the sympathy I've gained in the years since Evan died is now gone. Die in my house and I'm going to take a picture of it and post it online for the world to see. And this can happen to you, too. I will even give you the starter gerbils for your family's cage.


Here's the crazy thing. We still don't know the sexes of our gerbils. I checked all of them for nursing nipples. And when I say "I", what I mean to say is that Elliott picked them up and flipped them over. Because I don't touch them if I can possibly help it.

The crazy thing is that we know Spyra is a girl since she had babies before. BUT Gimpy and Bash also sit on top of the pups and the pups try to nurse them. So when Elliott had each adult gerbil in his hands we couldn't find any nipples on any of them...including Spyra. I totally don't get it. So who knows gerbils out there? Do they all nest regardless of sex? Or motherhood for that matter?

And my fabulous kids wait until each gerbil dies before naming it. Since a dead gerbil pup isn't the most pleasing thing to look at, I will treat you to some cuteness eye candy. 

Presenting Kira and Toby. They make me smile.

 
Posted by Picasa

2 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I did not realize they had more! How many do you have now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another pup disappeared about a week ago...so now we have 5. Their eyes were opened yesterday as slits and they are fully open today. We even saw one nibble on some food...so we should get rid of the babies quick!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers