April 8, 2013

Bits Of Happiness

The past several months, I've been serving on our city's community advisory committee. We've put together a strategic plan for the city, which will be adopted in the next month or so. Every time I leave these meetings, I get so excited about one project or another that I want to help come to pass. The ideas jumble up sometimes because they come so fast.

Like we should make a memorial park for the Indian chief our town is named after. It'd be a park and you could pay to camp in the chief's teepee. And make permanent farmer's market type stalls along the Centennial Trail in town...like the artist stalls along the Seine in Paris. And we should do a community garden or a food forest like they're building in Seattle. Or maybe do one at my children's elementary school and the kids could eat for school lunch all the food they grow. I even talked to the economic development manager about a possible partnership with the school and the Code.org program that teaches kids how to code. And what about a Spanish immersion program like the neighboring district has? I'd put all my kids into that. There are so many ideas and some are within my circle of influence.

Reality will hit sometime next week about the time and effort needed to be successful with one of these projects. I'll put it in the back of my mind and go on with the busyness of my life. But one of these days I just may shock myself and make something happen.

As I was leaving the meeting, I noticed two guys who were trying to push their car up hill out of a parking space. The thought went through my head like I could get in my car and drive off. Or I could help. Hmmm...it's 9 PM, dark, I'm alone. But I didn't feel like my safety was threatened...I've never gotten that vibe in my small hometown. So, I asked them if I could help. They asked if I had jumper cables. "Uh, maybe....let me check". I did and they were so grateful. I feel good that I was prepared to help and that it only took 5 minutes and I made their night.

This is just one of the bits of happiness I've felt the past few days.



Here's my Kira at almost 21 months old begging to use the toilet. She doesn't actually pee. But she likes to sit there. No pressure...but I hope it continues and develops into actually using it. I sometimes hear stories about kids and self-initiated potty training. They usually go something like, "She just refused her diaper, put on a pair of panties and started using the toilet. I didn't have to do anything!" Mind you, this has never happened to me. But a girl can dream....
On Saturday and Sunday, we watched via internet our church's general conference. Here's the boys with Toby. Notice what a couch hog he is...and what a nice smile he has on his face. The kids listened to several of the talks. My favorite was one by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland regarding faith. 
Hold the ground you have already won. Even if that ground is limited...hold fast to what you already know and stand strong until additional knowledge comes...when problems come and questions arise, do not start your quest for faith by saying how much you do not have, leading as it were with your unbelief....let me be clear on this point. I am not asking you to pretend to faith you do not have. I am asking you to be true to the faith you do have.
It was like Elder Holland talking to me directly. Altering my self critical perspective to acknowledge what faith I have instead of what I lack, gives me courage to stretch and grow, building on my mustard seed of faith. The entire speech is less than 15 minutes. Watch it if you missed it.



This quote made me laugh out loud. 
Except in the case of His only perfect begotten son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him but he deals with it. So should we. 
And this one gave me courage.
Fan the flame of your faith because all things are possible to them that believe. 
My last bit of happiness is partly due to a natural cleaner and partly due to my budding artist. I'm preparing to do a class at church on natural cleaners. I was reading that a baking soda paste (soda + water) takes scuff marks out of floors. But I kind of skipped over the floor part and wondered if it would work on the ball point pen on our high gloss wainscoting. Nothing worked to clean it and while I am normally a big fan of Magic Eraser sponges, I wasn't looking forward to using mine, since it takes off the finish and this drawing was on a highly visible section of the wall.

Baking soda paste WORKED! I danced around the dining room singing, "It's a miracle, miracle, on the wall. And it's coming off like it never has before!" Maybe you've heard the song. It kind of sounds like the chorus to  "She's a Maniac" from Flashdance. Check out 0:58 in the video.

So, I asked my little maniac to help me clean the wall. She was happy to help but at some point wanted to quit. I wouldn't let her. 

Jocelyn: Why not, Mom?
Me: Well, because you did this. You're cleaning it. 
J: No, I didn't...It must've been a robber.
Me: A robber came into our house just to draw on our walls? 
J: Yeah, he was an artist robber.

So there you have it. There are robbers that go around breaking into people's homes just to draw on their walls. That explains so much. So, I guess we need to be more diligent about locking our doors. But seriously check out that pen and how it disappeared off that panel. Baking soda is MAGICAL!

One of my friends posted a picture of a wall hanging on Facebook this past week. I loved it. Found it on Etsy. Ordered it. Came today. Framed it. And now it's hanging on my wall. Thanks Tania!


So many bits of happiness these days and so little time. Ahhh.
Posted by Picasa

1 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. So what is the code thing about? You always write the best posts. I am supposed to be working on my blog, but I can't help, but read yours! Love to know what other natural cleaners you find helpful! Also, love the quote you shared about not being perfect. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers