October 1, 2013

Bunny Bunny Bunny Bliss

There's a competition in my house to see who can say, "bunny bunny bunny" first on the first day of the month. My parents taught it to me. My father's parents taught it to him.

Tymon went to bed last night at 11:56 PM. I stayed up 4 minutes longer before going in to brush my teeth so that I would be the first one past midnight to say it. I'm not sure if we really need this imaginary luck or not, but we certainly vie for it. Jovana, 9 hours ahead of us in Europe, will either get us early, when it's the first day of the month for her, or she will get us at 9 AM her time when it's midnight our time. She gets my dad, too. It's ridiculous, really and our children are starting to get in on the action. The power of example. And the cool factor. You're definitely cool if you get it first.

So I get home this afternoon and start unloading groceries out of the car as the kids get home from school and Graeden starts telling me that he got bunny bunny bunny first this morning and he stayed up past midnight just so he could get it. I say, really? And he goes on and on. I explain how it doesn't count if you don't wake any one up and then he looks out the window and says he sees a bunny. For real. There's a bunny outside our house.

His declaration sounded like it may have been real...but his latest trick at the dinner table is saying, "look over there!" and then either stealing food off someone's plate or giving someone something he doesn't want to eat.

So, a little reluctantly, I looked outside. There was a bunny alright. But he didn't look wild. He didn't act wild. We caught him and asked around and found out that another family in the cul-de-sac bought two female bunnies recently. Now they have six. And next week, I'm sure they'll have twelve. Ha ha ha. All the same, we had fun for a bit trying to catch this one.

Jett finally got him trapped in one of our stools. He's yours if you want him. Let me know if you're local and looking for a pet. There are several that need new homes.

 
Posted by Picasa

2 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. What? You won't add bunnies to your gerbil collection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tradition was from my mother's family. It was supposed to be the first thing you said on the first of each month for good luck that month. That would make it an individual challenge that everyone in the family could "win" on.

    Pat and I were more competitive than that and always tried to beat the other, so Bridget was brought up to say it before anyone else. I think it is fun that her kids are becoming as devious as she is in trying to be first. Graeden just needs to learn that he has to wake someone up if he wants to assure himself of being first. What helps me is I only have to remember for a few hours after I do the last of my home teacvhing (just kidding, bishopo).

    WikiPedia talks about it in the form of Rabbits:
    "Rabbit rabbit rabbit" is one variant of a common British superstition which states that a person should say or repeat the word "rabbit" or "rabbits", or say the phrase "white rabbits", or some combination of these elements, out loud upon waking (or first moment) on the first day of the month, because doing so will ensure good luck for the duration of that month. Today, it is a frequent tradition in many English-speaking countries.

    There is more. Look it up.

    And Bridget, pointing out the window so you could steal something from someone else's plate, our more often, to put something onto my plate was your trick (and your siblings) as you grew up. I got the nickname "garbage dad" because of it. I never wanted to throw anything away. People were starving in China, as you know.

    My sister, who is three years older than me was told that people were starving in Armenia. When my sister, Gay, met a girl from Armenia in Europe, she accused, "So it's your fault I had to eat all my dinner! You and the other starving Armenians." The poor girl (after such an assault) said apologetically, "We were never starving!"

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers