March 5, 2014

Flour, Water, Salt - It's Really That Simple

So, my fermentation exploits have branched out. I've done 3 batches of sauerkraut now, one of pickles, and now I'm into sourdough. I've been thinking about it for a while, but have never really associated sourdough with fermentation. Uh yeah. It is. So what you see below is my first attempt at sourdough bread. I made my starter with rye flour. After about ten days with daily feeding, I used my starter to make sandwich bread.


The only set back was that it took 12 hours to rise. Two days later, I made my second loaf. After about 26 hours, it still hadn't risen so into the oven it went. So check out this loaf below. All of the rise came from the baking. Weird, huh? I didn't do the sponge waiting period that I did for the first loaf, but still I thought it'd behave somewhat similar.


Ahhhh, there's so much to learn about bread. I do like capturing my own wild yeasts, though. To think I can make a loaf of bread with just flour, water and salt is pretty amazing to me. And a bonus is the kids like it. Or rather, they didn't whine about it like one of the boys in my cub scout den this evening (we did a nutrition requirement and talked about healthy snacks). Another boy absolutely loved it. I gave him the hunk I had left over.

When I've perfected a recipe (that hopefully doesn't have an overnight rise) I'll post a recipe. Also, I used white flour (besides the rye flour starter) so I would know how much it should rise. I want my final recipe to be whole grain, so I'll continue experimenting until I can replicate a recipe I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers