September 21, 2014

Post-Op

Elliott had surgery on his arm Friday, a week ago. The surgeon put in two titanium rods to stabilize the bones so they would heal straight and Elliott would be able to have a fully functioning arm again. He got a cast a few days ago after the initial swelling had gone down. 

He's got this angry face on. I promise it's not pain. He did well without any painkillers after leaving the hospital. He only took ibuprofen a couple times a day for swelling. So, I'm thinking Mr. Grumpypants, who was happy before I started taking photos, might be embarrassed. 


Of what? I don't know. Because most kids who break an arm or a leg have a pretty lame story to go with it. Elliott's story on the other hand keeps getting better and better the more questions I ask. 

Thus far, I've ascertained that Elliott and a neighbor boy were each on top a 55 gallon drum and racing to the top of a slope in our yard. The neighbor went down first, without incident. Elliott fell forward and somehow snapped his forearm in half. Both bones. Clean break. 


I asked if he'll ever get on a barrel again. He said yes. Good thing the circus is leaving town this weekend. Elliott needs to work on perfecting his act before they come back again. 

Notes: 
Bend knees, 
Lowering center of gravity 
And above all, BE ready to jump, if necessary.

We had no idea how troublesome these barrels would become when we got them a few months ago. They were fun to roll on in the level area of the yard. And even funner to float on in the lake. But barrel racing up a hill just wasn't ideal.

1 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. I forgot to tell Elliott. When I was in the 9th grade during gym class playing basketball outdoors during a misty rain, I stumbled or slipped on the wet pavement and can still "see" my fall. I was falling toward the pavement with my right arm stretched straight out to catch my fall. I ended up with a "green stick" fracture which bent the bones and one or both cracked but not all the way through.

    Bridget, adding to your "Note" cautioning him next time to 1) bend knees, 2) lower the center of gravity, 3) jump to safety, I would add 4) bend your arm or arms to catch yourself and not stiff-arm the ground, 5) let your left arm be the one that you catch yourself with (if you are right handed) because you don't want to learn to write left-handed or wipe your bum with the wrong hand either, and 6) when doing something that could be dangerous (almost everything you do), always rehearse in your mind what you could do if the unlikely happened.

    When going down my back steps where I have slipped a few times, I always wrap my arm around the hand rail now so my arm would catch me should my feet slip out from under me. I watch my grand kids bound down those stairs without caution, but for me with big feet that are wider than the treads and bones 74 years brittle, I prefer catching myself and badly bruising the inside of my left arm than to chance breaking my tailbone or one of my limbs,

    Elliott has proved that kids are vulnerable. We parents and grandparents need to learn for ourselves to have a cautionary escape procedure during every movement we make. That's why stairways and showers and tubs have handrails. That's why you turn the handle of a boiling saucepan so it doesn't stick out over the floor where a curious toddler can reach it and pour scalding spaghetti sauce over her face. If you train yourself to always imagine what could go wrong, you'll be better to handle it when that something actually does go wrong.

    Bridget, you have prepared curriculum for new driving students to always leave themselves an escape route when maneuvering an automobile. Your curriculum has already saved lives according to one thank-you letter that came in from a student who, since taking drivers training, now looks in the rear view mirror every time he is about to apply the brake. This time when he looked, he pulled off the road because he saw a semi-truck (which had lost its brakes) barreling down behind him on an off-ramp. Luckily, the truck speeded across the road without hitting cross traffic and slowed down going up the other side before meeting the highway again.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers