January 26, 2016

Jackfruit aka Jaca

A couple of times a week, our tutor Irina comes and works with the kids on their Portuguese language skills. Today she brought with her a jaca fruit. Wow! This is the largest fruit in the world. I've seen it growing on a tree and it's pretty incredible that the tree limbs can even bear the weight of this giant.

So jaca fruit has a milky sap that is very sticky. We covered the table with garbage bags and coated our hands with oil so each kid could cut off a section of the fruit. They each worked to separate bulbs of flesh from the skin and connective fronds of their portion and then further separated the seed from the flesh.

Irina told me she'd watched a video that said the sap from the jackfruit was good for the skin..as in eczema rashy skin. And well, I've had this rash on my arms for the last few months that won't go away. 

So it didn't matter that she didn't know exactly how to apply it. We don't need to bog ourselves down with details. Better to take advantage of the moment rather than lose out. She and Tymon just wiped some all down my arm. It felt like marshmallow cream. So so sticky.

See the milky sap exuding from the core of the fruit.
It's also on the outside where the fruit attaches to the tree.
Both the fruit and seeds are edible. The fruit is sweet and I can't really describe it. Some have said it's like a cross between a pineapple, mango and banana. I don't know that I'd go that far, I've made that combo in a smoothie on several occasions. This wasn't like that. Nonetheless, I like it. It's not my favorite, but it's not bad.

I took some of the flesh and made a smoothie with it and some pineapple and lime. Such a good smoothie. Elliott had 3 cups full. Most of the rest of our big bowl went to the freezer for future smoothies. Hopefully Jocelyn doesn't get diarrhea from eating so much fresh. Ha ha.

We put the seeds into the pressure cooker for 40 minutes, which softened them right up. They tasted a little bit like boiled chestnuts. I liked them and made a salad with them by adding red onion, salt, vinegar and olive oil.


And about my arm...I left the sap on for two hours while searching the internet in hopes of figuring out how the sap should be applied and how long to leave it on and anything else about it. Google left me hanging, which is frustrating. Isn't everyone looking up the process for putting sap on rashy skin? I ended up smothering it with coconut oil and then washing in the sink with soap and warm water.

Though I didn't find what I wanted, I did pick up a few interesting jaca tidbits. There is a natural latex in the milky sap which combined with vinegar can be used to treat abscesses and snake bites. I found recipes on how to make jaca glue. And I even saw a few articles about using jaca sap for roof sealant. Pretty incredible, really. 

Perhaps, that's why jaca fruit doesn't fall off the tree as it grows so big...it's basically glued into place.

1 Riveting COMMENTS:

  1. To me it tasted a bit like a mix between pineapple (though not a very sweet one) and dried apple.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers