August 30, 2016

A Mango By Any Other Name...

...would taste as sweet. But holy schmoly there are so so so many varieties of mangoes out there. Year round in Sao Paulo (so weird that I've actually been here a year and can say this), two types are in every grocery store produce department and produce market and also street market: Palmer and Tommy. Today at the market there were those plus two more: the Rosa and Bourbon. I've seen other varieties and heard that the Verde ones are awesome...but I haven't tasted that one, yet.


In order with the bottom photo, there is the Palmer, Tommy, Rosa and Bourbon mangoes. The Bourbon is as tall as my palm...so tiny in comparison to the others. The Palmer is a touch bigger than my hand.

My favorite is the Rosa, which has been around for about the last month so it must be in season. To me it tastes like a cross between a nectarine straight off the tree and of course, a mango. In short, it's pretty close to heaven. Today the price was R$5 per kilo...or $1.65USD per kilo. I used to remove the skin in a very messy fashion every time I made smoothies...until a Brazilian watched me do it and told me you could eat the skin. So now our Vitamix blends the skin and flesh and my kids fight over who gets to suck on the seed.

What I wonder is what kind of mango we have in US stores...because I didn't realize there was more than one type before coming to Brazil. Same with bananas...maybe I should do a post on those, too. One produce market I like to go to frequently has at least 5 to 6 varieties of bananas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Comment.
You know you want to.
And I love hearing from you.

 
Design by April Showers